Menu

Writing a letter to a publisher...

I know I've seen threads similar to this, but I can't seem to find any with the search criteria that seem logical to me..

Anyway, I contacted a publisher about a book I've written, they were interested. I sent them a copy of the manuscript as requested (actually, I uploaded it and sent them a link). It has been a little over a month now with no response, so I wanted to send a reminder email.

I wrote out something, but it's just two sentences, basically "have you looked at it and are you interested." It seems too short or blunt to me, do I need to flesh it out? Should I mention that I'm looking for other publishers/means of publishing?

I'm so tired right now I'm just not thinking crisply...

tia!

I worked in publishing for a number of years. Unless you are a big name author or have a claim to fame in some way, it is very common for there to be a long wait before response.

On the other hand, the longer the wait, the smaller the likelihood of any good news.

You should continue contacting the publisher cheerfully. Restate whatever you put in your cover letter, especially any personal contact you have had and the fact that they requested the ms. Something like, "I enjoyed speaking with Mr. Pigsnozzle just before the holidays at the Cinderella Ball. I sent my manuscript, titled Adventures of a HomeSchooling Globetrotting Dynamo, as requested. Have you had a chance to peruse the manuscript?"

If there was anything else in your cover letter that was relevant, throw that in as well.

Each time you contact them restate your cover letter, until you've had a response of some sort.

Good luck.