Menu

Jump math?

Foofaraw

When this curriculum was first in the news, it got a few homeschooler mentions, but I haven’t found anything with details of long term use, what they moved onto, etc.

My daughter’s background: Kindergarten Math With Confidence,

1st MWC,

random singapore primary 2022 books to tide us over before 2nd MWC released, then gave up

Math Mammoth 1B selections

MM 2A, 2B, working out of multiple chapters to make it the arithmetic sections less dense,

Currently using 3MWC, but going to finish in January, too soon for the next release.

MWC group advice is “just play the games for review until summer!” But that’a really not right here. My daughter could already handle the word problems of MM.If we weren’t behind the release schedule, I would stick with MWC year round and add in Fan Process Skills on the side.

Perusing the teacher guides online, Jump Math seems to be like math mammoth in being more explicitly incremental than Singapore, but has different units of math throughout the year like MWC. Jump math seems to include more of the extras you see in common core math and progress slower. Taking until 8th to do what MM covers in 7th/pre-algebra. We definitely wouldn’t go that slow. 

Any US, middle school Jump math users out there?

On 7/27/2023 at 2:06 PM, Foofaraw said:

Jump math seems to include more of the extras you see in common core math and progress slower. Taking until 8th to do what MM covers in 7th/pre-algebra. We definitely wouldn’t go that slow.

It seems like MM would be a better fit then? What's attracted you to Jump Math if the pacing isn't what you're looking for?

18 hours ago, Malam said:

It seems like MM would be a better fit then? What's attracted you to Jump Math if the pacing isn't what you're looking for?

The instructor guide is free online, and the scripted lesson reminds me of the MWC manual. While she was almost always capable of independently completing the MM lessons, she’s young and extroverted and likes the teaching interaction (usually). Other pro for jump math over MM is the workbook is easier on the eyes and the 

An alternative would be to use the teaching boxes from MM to teach my daughter on a white board before turning her loose on practice problems.

10 hours ago, alysee said:

I am a Canadian JUMP math user. We typically only use it for K-3. I did not use it for my gifted kid. I like that it doesn't intimidate my kids and that a simple 10 minute lesson from me and they are off. 

What do you move onto after 3rd? Something more independent and/or more rigorous? 

I’m also considering singapore primary math with the home instructor guide. My impression from these boards is, you need a lot of different books to teach out of, and many people find themselves supplementing with Fan Process Skills or MM units for more incremental instruction.

It seems like Jump Math drags out to 8th grade because it has a lot of review/on-ramping lessons for a mixed ability classroom, and it’s integrated with more geometry and statistics topics. But it seems like it would be straightforward to focus and accelerate through higher priority material.

1 hour ago, Foofaraw said:

The instructor guide is free online, and the scripted lesson reminds me of the MWC manual. While she was almost always capable of independently completing the MM lessons, she’s young and extroverted and likes the teaching interaction (usually). Other pro for jump math over MM is the workbook is easier on the eyes and the 

An alternative would be to use the teaching boxes from MM to teach my daughter on a white board before turning her loose on practice problems.

What do you move onto after 3rd? Something more independent and/or more rigorous? 

I’m also considering singapore primary math with the home instructor guide. My impression from these boards is, you need a lot of different books to teach out of, and many people find themselves supplementing with Fan Process Skills or MM units for more incremental instruction.

It seems like Jump Math drags out to 8th grade because it has a lot of review/on-ramping lessons for a mixed ability classroom, and it’s integrated with more geometry and statistics topics. But it seems like it would be straightforward to focus and accelerate through higher priority material.

We have been able to speed up or slow down depending on what they need. It was also really good for not getting my ADHD kid distracted by colours. 

We moved on to CTC Math not because we didnt like it but more to ease my workload.