Menu

Books About Big Cats

My 5yo is obsessed with anything cat related. I would love to find some newer cat books that will teach her about all the different wild Cats.

So far I found Wild Cats by Deborah Hodge and A Day in the Life of Big Cats by Neon Squid. 

Do you have any other recommendations? A Quick google search keeps bringing me ups for 8-12 year olds.

• Like 1

8-12 year old books can still work, though you might be helping them read, reading to them or they might just want to look at them. A lot of them just have the same info -  I’m thinking non-fiction. There’s also those My First Pocket Guide type books, which are also a little older, but small format and easy to carry around. There’s a National Geographic kids big cats book around here somewhere and kid nature magazines on big cats, your library might have some in the kids section. My kids love pictures so we would frequently check out the oversized library adult books to look at things that interest them - occasionally some text gets read, they just had to be careful flipping pages.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, alysee said:

My 5yo is obsessed with anything cat related. 

What a great age/stage!! My dd had a book at that age (something dk or similar with lots of pictures) that explored what different cat behaviors meant. I think we had cat poetry, cat short stories. And don't laugh, but she might even enjoy the musical CATS more than you'd expect. There's a documentary Cat People on amazon prime I think. 

Wild cats are harder because by definition there's going to be some killing, etc. which is why the resources are skewing older. Did you know cheetahs don't meow but chirp? The weird things kids learn on youtube! LOL 

You could look for cat origami, sew cat toys, do cat face painting, etc. 

• Like 1