Menu

Mr. D. Math INTRODUCTION to Pre-Algebra Reviews?

Ting Tang

I cannot find much information on this specific course.  The pre-requisite is completion of 4th grade math.  It is a level just below his pre-algebra course.

What I am wondering is if it reviews basic arithmetic, like multiplication and long division?  I don't feel like I get enough information from the sample content.  

I'm considering it for my son who had a hard time with Singapore Dimensions 4th grade last year (but completed a 4th grade traditional math the year prior without issues).  I just want to know if it might be too difficult for him, too.

39 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Yes, it does. I know someone who used it for a student after the older kid enjoyed Mr. D. It's essentially 5th/6th grade math.

Okedoke, thank you!  I am also considering using the pre-algebra for my 6th grader.  It looks like it doesn't waste time then going into algebra.  Since they do not appear to be mathematically gifted, I am hoping this is still sufficient, should they grow and choose a math-dependent path.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

Okedoke, thank you!  I am also considering using the pre-algebra for my 6th grader.  It looks like it doesn't waste time then going into algebra.  Since they do not appear to be mathematically gifted, I am hoping this is still sufficient, should they grow and choose a math-dependent path.

This is for 5th grade? There's a pretty big gulf between Singapore Dimensions and Mr. D. I might go to something in between first, honestly. Mr. D's is fine for kids not heading into STEM who just need to get math done. But it's really on the easy side without a ton of deeper understanding. I think that's okay for kids who just need to drag through algebra II so they can go study English in college. It might be okay for this age for the right student too... but it wouldn't be my first go to.

If you need to outsource, I think My Homeschool Math Class (Jann in TX's site) also has a pre-pre-algebra class.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Malam said:

Which one?

My Homeschool Math Class.  As it turns out, I do think I was thinking of something else with a similar name!  I still have no clue what to do for next year.  I am second guessing having my rising 5th do online math.