Menu

nvm

Eos

• Eos changed the title to nvm

Start looking for alternatives now what ever that may be. Consult an elder attorney so you know what will need to be done in the future regarding her financial situation. Start looking at facilities so that you will know in advance which one you prefer. It is much harder to take care of things when the elder person is about to be discharged from the hospital and decisions have to be made quickly. Decide your limits in advance and stick to it.

Elder care is a whole lot like the frog in the boiling water thing. (Don’t know that this is true but it fits the situation)  If a frog gets thrown into boiling water it will immediately jump out. If the frog get put into warm water and the water is then heated up, the frog doesn’t get out and slowly cooks to death. Don’t be the frog. That doesn’t help anyone in the long run.

The best thing I did this trip was make everything official that when mom’s Medicare cuts her off wishes is staying at her current facility as a private pay patient. Now, when Medicare does “discharge” her, I don’t have to make another last minute trip to deal with her situation. 

And try to line up your own support system. I have a very good friend who frequently joins me when I “visit” my mom, and there are two main reasons for that. One is that she Thames care of all the little details like getting food and drinks and helps me remember what I say I need yo do. The other big reason is that my mom always behaves better in front of people who are not family members, so it is much more pleasant to “visit” when another person comes along. I would not have made it through the last three years without this friend.

• Like 1