Menu

If there was a school in your town for LD students

Paz

and it was reasonably priced would you send your child? We have an opportunity to visit a 3 year old alternative school which was started by a nun. It is for students with average intelligence to gifted and one or more LD's. I spoke with the sister today and she told me several of the dc's have sensory problems like my dd (difficulties with noise). The classes are small, the work is non-graded, but students receive a normal high school diploma from our state.

I am thinking seriously about this because I think it is a chance to prepare dd for college. Because of her sensory issues and other LD issues she freaks out when in a confused or noisy classroom setting. She needs some experience in coping with that before she tries to go to college. I know she will fight me on this, though because she won't want to try it because it is going to be difficult for her.

and it was reasonably priced would you send your child? We have an opportunity to visit a 3 year old alternative school which was started by a nun. It is for students with average intelligence to gifted and one or more LD's. I spoke with the sister today and she told me several of the dc's have sensory problems like my dd (difficulties with noise). The classes are small, the work is non-graded, but students receive a normal high school diploma from our state.

I am thinking seriously about this because I think it is a chance to prepare dd for college. Because of her sensory issues and other LD issues she freaks out when in a confused or noisy classroom setting. She needs some experience in coping with that before she tries to go to college. I know she will fight me on this, though because she won't want to try it because it is going to be difficult for her.

If I thought it was the best thing for my child, I would.

There are several in my area and as of right now, we're not sending dd9.5. But I think about it *all the time*.

option one: GHA:a Jewish day school that has a 'school within the school' for kids who learn differently....most of the kids are dyslexic, but there is some auditory processing disorder and other issues as well. they must be able to fully function in the classroom and not be disruptive. it's for kids with average to far above average IQ's *and* LD's. 6-9 kids per class grades K-5. may or may not work for my kid b/c of her ADHD.

option two: Schenk school.....specifically for dyslexic kids. it's awesome. may or may not be a fit for my kid since she has ADHD as well and has a great deal of difficulty functioning in a classroom.

option three: Speech school....specifically for kids with a wide variety of language based learning disabilities (incl dyslexia) speech issues, hearing issues. it's awesome....but probably not for my dd.

option four: Howard school.....wide range of LD's and other developmental issues...social, intellecutal....lots of aspergers/HFA, lots of sensory issues, speech issues, dyslexia.....probably not a good fit.

option five: 504school.org A school created by a mom for her dyslexic ds. It's wonderful. All language arts is O-G based (they teach assuming language based LD's just b/c attention issues can best be worked around by the same kinds of multisensory teaching that og incorporates. math is very montessori/manipulatives based. if my dd went there would be 3 girls/3 boys in the fourth grade class. They get OT and all kinds of cool stuff daily. it's probably the best fit for her b/c of the ADHD understanding. if she didn't have the ADHD the schenk school would be best.

So why aren't we choosing one of them? Well, I'd hate to send her away for 9h per day, only to have her come home for homework and bedtime.....

2)they're all in the ballpark of 20K per year.

3)I love that she can do her intensive phonics/reading and math in about 2.5h per day, then have the rest of the day to do other work that's interesting to her, play with other kids, ice skate, swim, co-op classes and general life skills. LOVE THAT.

But when things are frustrating, or I get concerned that she's not moving forward, I think, no, obsess, on sending her to one of the aforementioned schools.

:)

K

Will it be easier for her to work on it now, than in two years? Does she want to go to college? I've known one family with a child who had issues (not to get specific) that I wonder why they don't send her to something. My conclusion is that they aren't worried about her moving on... (Maybe they plan on her living at home for life?)

Is she planning to go to a small college? Our Christian College, in my opinion, was out of control. I would have preferred a small, quiet atmosphere and living at home. My parents made me live in the dorm. I HATED it and didn't finish.(not the only problem, though)

Anyway, I would think that if you let her finish at home and then find a serious learning atmosphere, it would help here. Also, does she have an idea of what type of career she wants? (It won't/can't ever be as bad as middle/high school)

You don't have to have a LD to hate being in chaos. Everytime I go to my step-daughters middle school, I feel as though I've walked into a room of roaches buzzing around me. It's chaotic and just makes me want to run fast...(Ok, perhaps I have something??) I just can't stand all the teen girls running around.....I really don't like it....(And the highschool is worse!)

Carrie:-)