Menu

Classical Conversations Cycle One

Hi There,

I was just looking at Cycle 1 and I'm wondering if all the Latin Noun Endings are to music? Is that how the children learn them?

Any other hints or thoughts on Cycle 1?

I'm having Open Houses next month, so if anyone wants to give me any hints or what you loved preparing ....or having prepared for you....at Open Houses...I'd welcome those comments, too!

Thanks!

Carrie:-)

I've done Cycle One. CC has audio CDs and Memory work CDs with all the memory work on them. The noun declensions are set to music- catchy familiar tunes to help the kids (and their tutors) learn them. That was two years ago and our son still knows the songs for the declensions- so it works!

Assuming they're doing the same as in previous years, CC provides music for the history songs, latin declensions, and math skip counting. However, they don't recommend skip counting for age 10 and up (they want recitation of the multiplication tables), and parents are always free to memorize without the music. This is our third year of CC and every year I have at least one family who passes on the songs because they prefer to memorize without them. They're not required.

Some parents pass on CC thinking that we do everything with songs or that they're required to do the songs, and that's not true at all. Only some of the memory work has songs, and they're optional.

You're so right:-) I introduce the material to my children, by just telling them the information and try to have us practice it before we sing it. We've also just gone over the timeline, and they do hand motions at CC, but I would also like to sing these to a song as well. I do believe that children should learn it by just saying it first, and then song. I have to say that most children, if they're not in some program won't master all of the information by just orally saying it or singing it. So, I guess I have to say that even if it's all sung, at least they have the info down.