Menu

Can we do Rainbow Science years out of order?

Tami

I am looking at Rainbow Science for jr. high, and would really prefer the Life Science focus of Year 2 for next year. We just did a ton of physics last year.

Would it be okay to use Rainbow Science in reverse order, Year 2, then Year 1?

The author does not recommend that you do so, but we did not have any significant trouble. I must admit, though, that I liked Year 1 much better than Year 2. Once the biology lessons became what I would call a "survey" of the various branches of the classification system for plant an animal life, I thought the lessons got rather disjointed and, dare I say, somewhat pointless. It seemed like the author was rattling off a series of names of plants/animals in a particular category and expected the kids to memorize them -- for what purpose, I don't know. The earth science part was okay, what there was of it. Overall, "meh" was my reaction to Year 2.

I was about to waste a lot of money! Thanks for posting honestly - you can't imagine how much I appreciate it.

Back to the Life Science drawing board, I guess. Do you have any suggestions? I am Christian, and prefer something that isn't real preachy on evolution.

Maybe I will look at Prentice-Hall. Sigh.

We have emphasized electronics, chemistry, earth science, and robotics here, and done almost nothing with biology. I had considered doing Rainbow mostly for the biology coverage, skimming through the first year to get to the 'good stuff'. But now that I hear that Biology is not all that great, I can just put this out of my nagging little curriculum junkie head and continue with Science Explorer, which I am really liking for DD anyway.