Menu

Counselors update in the Common App

rzberrymom

My daughter has a homeschool charter that oversees her work, so they fill out the counselors report for her. She was deferred from EA to RD at one school, and so I had asked the charter to send a mid-year update for her.

They said there’s only a place for the counselor to include an updated transcript. I don’t know why, but I thought for sure that folks could send updated written comments as well.

Do I have that wrong? Is there any way for a counselor to add context to a mid-year update? For example, my DD talked her way into a senior-level class at our local engineering university because she had taken everything in the department at the CC and had also TA’d for the department for 3 years. But of course the updated transcript doesn’t show any of this context.

My DD added the context in her own update, but obviously it would be good for the counselor to back her up.

ETA: I could have the counselor send a written update directly to the admissions officer (my DD has been in touch with her), but I also don’t want to annoy them if there’s a place to do it in the common app.

Edited by rzberrymom

I do think you are correct. I recently uploaded midyear transcripts and there once I did that there was a question about if I wanted to, hmm, change my evaluation of the student. That seems like the wording that was used. Out of paranoia, I was careful to keep my cursor as far away from "yes" as possible, but there was definitely something.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

I recently uploaded midyear transcripts and there once I did that there was a question about if I wanted to, hmm, change my evaluation of the student. 

Hmmm, so now I guess the question is does that automatically add to the counselor’s previous evaluation? Or does it erase her previous evaluation? It does sound daunting, like it may erase what she said previously.

• Like 1