Menu

Memoria Press Pre-Algebra and Algebra

Ting Tang

Even though I am mad at MP over composition, I have been looking at the COTR pre-algebra again and the regular Algebra, which uses the classic Prentiss Hall textbook.

Does anyone know why test samples are the same for both of these levels of math?

Any reviews? Thoughts?  Likes, dislikes?  Thanks!

Just now, Green Bean said:

MP doesn;t use the Prentice Hall books anymore as the books are out of print. They moved over to VideoText.

COTRW is awful, IMO. Very sparse. You are better off choosing the same publisher for Pre-Alg on up to have a seamless flow. 

Thanks so much! I've been hesitant, mainly because I know it is a college textbook.  Sparse doesn't sound good!  I looked a wee bit at Videotext, too.  It looks like if you only want to buy the first half of the modules, you still won't have covered all of Algebra I, so that kinda bugged me.  But I started to look at it because I read pre-algebra was included.  

You can download the Redwoods pre A book from the college site:

https://www.redwoods.edu/Portals/121/PreAlgText/Prealgebra.pdf?ver=2016-02-09-153714-077

Reading it for yourself may help you get a feel for if it will work for your student.

I personally find the Redwoods book to be very dry, both in content and from a visual standpoint.

Some people like the dry-ish format; I don't think most students need something that blah, especially at the pre algebra level, for crying out loud.  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zoo Keeper said:

You can download the Redwoods pre A book from the college site:

https://www.redwoods.edu/Portals/121/PreAlgText/Prealgebra.pdf?ver=2016-02-09-153714-077

Reading it for yourself may help you get a feel for if it will work for your student.

I personally find the Redwoods book to be very dry, both in content and from a visual standpoint.

Some people like the dry-ish format; I don't think most students need something that blah, especially at the pre algebra level, for crying out loud.  😉

Thank you so much!  I feel like some of the more stimulating math won't work for him because he really isn't interesting in diving deep into many subjects (to my dismay, believe me!).  It certainly was an interesting curriculum to settle on for 7th graders, though, seeing it is intended for college students!

Edited by Ting Tang

We are using Teaching Textbooks. I have 2 in pre algebra and 1 in algebra 1. It’s going great. You can order a physical book to go alongside, if you want. I sit with my kids while they do it to be sure they understand and aren’t clicking through. Mine are super motivated anyway as they love it.

I know you have smaller people. Little Man likes watching the lessons, too. He tries to solve the math. 😆

Or your guy could use headphones while being in the same room as you.

They have a generous free trial.

VT made zero sense to my son. No review at all and a strange way to explain things for him. VERY expensive, too!

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SilverMoon said:

Redwoods was awful. One of mine used the prealg book as review alongside something much more interesting. I'll second or third the dry complaint and lodge "zero review" and "too basic" complaints. 🤐 

Oh no.  I wonder why MP has not further investigated something else?  

4 hours ago, Green Bean said:

We are using Teaching Textbooks. I have 2 in pre algebra and 1 in algebra 1. It’s going great. You can order a physical book to go alongside, if you want. I sit with my kids while they do it to be sure they understand and aren’t clicking through. Mine are super motivated anyway as they love it.

I know you have smaller people. Little Man likes watching the lessons, too. He tries to solve the math. 😆

Or your guy could use headphones while being in the same room as you.

They have a generous free trial.

VT made zero sense to my son. No review at all and a strange way to explain things for him. VERY expensive, too!

Thank you so much. This is very helpful.  I am glad to know you can purchase books for TT--that makes a difference.   And thanks for sharing about VT. Sometimes something looks okay to me, but it has to make sense to someone younger than me, lol.  That's very cute about the youngsters getting in on the learning!  I am still struggling with the rest are all wild and crazy when someone is doing a lesson.  I've seriously considered a return to public school, particularly for my oldest.  😞  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ting Tang said:

Thank you so much. This is very helpful.  I am glad to know you can purchase books for TT--that makes a difference.   And thanks for sharing about VT. Sometimes something looks okay to me, but it has to make sense to someone younger than me, lol.  That's very cute about the youngsters getting in on the learning!  I am still struggling with the rest are all wild and crazy when someone is doing a lesson.  I've seriously considered a return to public school, particularly for my oldest.  😞  

We have had many Come to Jesus moments/Mom lectures over the years. I feel ya.

• Like 1