Menu

Classical Writing - Progym

Ting Tang

Has anyone used this program for writing? It has a ton of grammar exercises. I see you can use your own grammar text, but I wondered if would be too much to use MCT with it. I am looking at Classical Academic Press for the progym, too. Not sure I want to use Memoria Press after seeing certain assignments. Thanks! 

We used it for one year.  It was......not very intuitive and cumbersome.  The program we used previously (Writing Tales) had this as a follow-on, but it just didn't work for us.  The suggested grammar text, Harvey's, was the better portion of the day. 

DS ended up moving into WWS1 after that year.  He appreciated the layout and direction much more than CW's, and credits WWS for his ability to write in high school. 

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

We used it for one year.  It was......not very intuitive and cumbersome.  The program we used previously (Writing Tales) had this as a follow-on, but it just didn't work for us.  The suggested grammar text, Harvey's, was the better portion of the day. 

DS ended up moving into WWS1 after that year.  He appreciated the layout and direction much more than CW's, and credits WWS for his ability to write in high school. 

Thanks so much! Well, I am not wanting cumbersome since I have four learners. I am rating a blank on these acronyms but I’m sure I’ve seen them and will take a look after our school day. 

Just now, Ting Tang said:

Thanks so much! Well, I am not wanting cumbersome since I have four learners. I am rating a blank on these acronyms but I’m sure I’ve seen them and will take a look after our school day. 

My apologies!

WWS - Writing With Skill

CW - Classical Writing.

I have been using Classical Writing-Homer. I have the main book, student workbook and teacher guide. It's hard to teach from it lesson by lesson. I went back and forth making my own lesson outlines . But there's just too much to do for my kid who struggles with attention. So I use it now only for the summary by scene and the 6-sentence shuffle. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OnceUponAFullMoon said:

I have been using Classical Writing-Homer. I have the main book, student workbook and teacher guide. It's hard to teach from it lesson by lesson. I went back and forth making my own lesson outlines . But there's just too much to do for my kid who struggles with attention. So I use it now only for the summary by scene and the 6-sentence shuffle. 

It looks like a lot to me, too. I think I'd have to do the same, if we were to continue using MCT.