Menu

Anyone get a passport recently? How long does it take?

I know that things got really slow last year because of the new Mexico/Canada passport requirements. But, have things leveled off? How long does it take to get a passport these days?

We're planning on going to Canada next summer. Then, we're planning a trip to Alaska (via Canada) in a 3-4 more years. Dh doesn't want to get the passports too early because the kids' only last 5 years, and he's afraid they'll expire before our Alaska trip if we get them too soon this year (if our trip gets delayed).

I'm thinking we need to start the process asap so that we'll be sure to have them before our July '09 trip.

What's your recent experience?

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

In general, I think the craze has slowed down. We just got one for our new baby and it took 5 weeks, but we are overseas and had to go through the military which slowed it down.

Are you driving to Alaska? We've done that drive four times now and it is spectacular. You will love, love, love the experience!!!! Have you bought the Milepost? If not, you need it!! (Great holiday present for dh!)

We've been to Alaska, but we fly our small plane there. Dh flew me there on our honeymoon 17 years ago, and we haven't been back since. It was a wonderful, bonding time for us. Now, we want to fly the kids up there, before the olders are too old, but not before the youngest is old enough to remember and appreciate it. I'm not sure exactly when that will be. Sometime in the next few years.

For now, we just plan to drive a little ways into Canada, from Glacier Nat. Park. We're going there next July for a family reunion.

What's the Milepost? I've never heard of it.

You still need the Milepost! If you drive, it gives you details milepost by milepost on where you can stop, buy fuel, sight see, find wildlife, etc. along the AlCan. It also gives you lots of details on where to stay, berry pick, shop, eat, fish, see wildlife, etc. all over the state as well as along the route and surrounding areas of western Canada. Think of it as an entertainment book without the coupons, although there are usually a few coupons tucked in it as well.

It is infamous in Alaska. You can't live there and not own one. (OK, you can, but I wouldn't recommend it! :D) It's the unofficial bible of AK.

It costs around $30 (last time I bought one, anyway) and you can usually find it in larger bookstores like B&N. Of course, you can always order it. It really is just plain old fun to read.

http://milepost.com/

From their website:

1949 MILEPOST

The MILEPOST®: Legendary Alaska trip planner and Alaska travel guide to the highways, roads, ferries, lodgings, recreation, sightseeing attractions and services along the Alaska Highway to and within Alaska, including Alberta, British Columbia, Northwest Territories and the Yukon.

Find trip planning help and frequently asked questions about highway travel by RV, auto, caravan or motorcycle, ferry and fly/drive travel to Alaska and Western Canada. Since 1949, The MILEPOST® has been the most trusted and complete Alaskan travel guide and Alaskan trip planner for highway and ferry travel to Alaska, the Yukon, British Columbia, Alberta and Western Northwest Territories. Updated annually, The MILEPOST® gives you detailed information on everything from the famous Alaska Highway system to cruising Alaska's Inside Passage.