Menu

Value of business for CSS

BrianDavisCPA

I’m trying to complete the CSS profile. There is a question about the value of my business. I have a small corporation. No employees. Just me. I provide accounting services. The only asset I have in the business is the cash in my bank account. So is that the value? If I were to sell the business I wouldn’t sell the cash. I would pay that out to me first. So is the value really zero?

to put this another way, if I don’t include the value of that cash in determining the value of my business, why not move all of my personal cash and investments to the business to make myself look poor for the css?

I like the Facebook group Understanding College Aid for questions like this. 

There was a recent discussion of valuing small businesses for financial aid purposes. 

I don't think the cash would be ignored. It's an asset of the business. If you'd extract cash one direction and also sell other assets to someone else, the cash held by the business now would still be part of it's current value.

Beyond the cash in bank value, would there be a client list worth selling to another company? 

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 2