Menu

Can you help me compare CLE Language and R&S English?

marypoppins

Hi all! I'm a new to posting on this board. I've lurked on and off for the past year or so, but I really had a hard time following the threads with the format of the old board. But I have to say these new boards are great!!!:D

I am wondering if some of you can help me compare/contrast R&S English and CLE language. I currently use R&S English with my 2nd grade ds, and he does like it. However, I think the main reason he likes it is because I have been allowing him to do almost all of it orally. He really does not like having to write. I do plan on making him write much more next year, and I can hear the balking already! So I'm thinking the workbook format of CLE would be a nice compromise. Also, as much as I appreciate the way R&S teaches concepts, I'm thinking it would be nice to have more of a spiral program to get more review throughout the year.

We are a pretty academically minded family, so having a rock solid program is important to us. I know R&S English has a reputation for being a very solid and thorough English program, but I haven't really heard much about CLE's Language. How does the scope and sequence compare, and do you think it includes enough writing instruction and practice?

TIA and glad to be here!:cool:

don't know much about CLE but you can certainly continue doing R&S orally for a long time...many just do diagramming and writing assignments on paper. Some people order the worksheets and use those like a workbook and do the rest orally. He's only second grade? there's no reason to make him do all the writing, really!

I am using CLE Language this year with my 2nd grade ds. It has worked very well for us. I initially chose it because I needed him to have some work that he could do independently while I worked with my dd. Also, I liked the workbook format and spiral review built in. I really like the format of it. I only have to spend a few minutes introducing the new topic, then he spends the rest of the lesson doing review and spelling. I do not do the penmanship this year since he is doing HWT cursive.

My ds sounds like yours in that he also balks at writing, but he does not mind CLE at all. For 2nd grade it has a lot of circling, underlining, matching, etc., so that the amount of sentences he does have to write is manageable. From what I understand, though, CLE does not include writing instruction from 3rd grade on, so I will probably supplement with a writing program next year.

All in all, I really like the program. My ds seems to really be retaining what he is learning.

I know R&S is an excellent program too, though I have never used it. There is a Yahoo CLE group where you can see samples and a scope and sequence.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/christianlightfamilies/

HTH

Someone asked this not long ago and here was my reply. HTH!

R&S:

Includes grammar and writing lessons, but no spelling or penmanship lessons

You must copy work on notebook paper

Includes worksheets you can buy to supplement lessons

Supposedly more intense diagramming

Very religious, lots of farming themes, old-fashioned themes, black & white pages

Not too teacher intensive

Reviews previous material

CLE

Includes grammar, penmanship, spelling, some vocab, but no formal writing lessons. You'll need to order a separate writing program. (We are using the 400 series and there have been lessons on note taking and paragraph unity, so there are some writing exercises, but nothing formal)

Student works right in their workbook

Includes diagramming, but not too much of it

religious, but not overwhelmingly so, more modern themes, a nice bit of color on the pages

Not teacher intensive, but allows for more independent working than R&S

Reviews previous material

I reviewed CLE Lang Arts and Math on my blog. HTH!

I had both and went with CLE because all the review in R&S is in the teacher's manual. ALso, R&S has an overwhelming amount of problems and writing. CLE has sprial review, but in small, do-able chunks. CLE is written to the student, and is in a workbook format.

I always say that CLE is like R&S, but in a workbook format.

CLE Language Arts is rigorous - be careful not to over place.

We are using CLE LA5 this year and it has helped my dd cement some of the grammar instruction where she has really struggled. I thought I would like all the components of LA being together but I am finding that is not completely true.

We are using Meaningful Composition alongside CLE LA. (http://www.tfths.com)

PS. We just started CLE math and I really like it.