Menu

Mathacademy.com reviews?

Nomdeplume

• 1 year later...

I started using it for myself to review high school and college level math and I like it a lot. A few other users on Reddit and YCombinator also like it for the same person. So far I haven't seen anyone write about it for kids. I definitely want my son to try it starting in 4th grade.

• 1 month later...

I suggested it to my friend who has a gifted 9 year old, says he moved through three years of math in 3 weeks before moving at a more normal pace on hitting algebra.

I saw her demo it a bit, looks like there's a well developed skill tree of individual competencies and then a carefully designed algorithm to assess mastery of those competencies and revisit on an optimal schedule using spaced repetition.

From what I saw, responses are multiple choice, which I think could lead to some gamesmanship from brighter (craftier?) students and them selecting the correct answer from the available responses but not able to actually arrive at it on their own.

The program seems to be producing all sorts of outliers, with a few dozen 8th graders (and some younger) getting 5 on Calc BC- an extremely rare event nationally. My stupid guess is that this is probably a valuable program, but you may want to supplement a bit with non-Mathacademy problems just to verify your child can transfer the skills learned to non multiple-choice questions.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My 8th grade son has been using Mathacademy for about a year and a half. He’s scoring an average of 760 on SAT math practice tests. He’ll finish Integrated Math 3 in April and then begin AP calculus BC. 

• 2 weeks later...

My 4th grader uses MA. We love it! He is particularly good at math and a fairly independent learner, so the pacing and goal setting is ideal for him. He switched from AoPS and the teaching and testing style is similar IMO. 

4 hours ago, GracieJane said:

My 4th grader uses MA. We love it! He is particularly good at math and a fairly independent learner, so the pacing and goal setting is ideal for him. He switched from AoPS and the teaching and testing style is similar IMO. 

Just curious, why did you choose to switch?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2024 at 5:11 PM, Malam said:

Just curious, why did you choose to switch?

Honestly? I prefer the format of MA online and I like that their problem sets often “trick” the student, so they are forced to read the question multiple times slowly. I still like AoPS, but for our child MA is a better fit.