Menu

Free online lecture from Lukeion tomorrow night on "The Archaeology of Christmas"

(Cross-posted from General Board) I've mentioned the wonderful Lukeion online classes -- which focus on Latin, Greek, and the ancient world -- in previous posts. My 11-year-old and I have taken several of these classes and really enjoyed them. We also travelled to Italy last spring with Regan and Amy Barr (Lukeion's founders, who majored in classics and archeology in college and are now homeschooling their own children) as part of a Lukeion family tour.

As a free Christmas "gift" to interested homeschoolers Lukeion is presenting a special online lecture called "The Archaeology of Christmas." Topics covered will include (1) the latest archeological findings on Herod the Great's tomb; (2) what scholars know about the Magi; (3) the slaughter of the innocents; (4) the "unique" status of Egypt, to which Jesus and His parents fled Herod's wrath; and (5) Caesar Augustus's role in the Christmas story.

Lukeion's lectures are never boring! There will be an abundance of photos and other graphics. It's not a "talking head" kind of lecture; you're always looking at something fun and interesting.

The lecture will begin at 8:00 EST tomorrow (Wednesday) evening. You'll need to sign up in advance to make sure your computer is connected with the class. The website is http://www.lukeion.org

I think the server was overwhelmed. The audio started breaking up for me, so I left the room and tried to come back in. The server kept timing out for me. I finally got back in.

I came in late, but I enjoyed the portion of the session I did get to hear.

OT, but does anyone know other sites that offer free lectures like this? I know classicalhomeschooling.org does monthly lectures. Any other ones I should check out?

Well, Lukeion does offer free lectures from time to time. They gave a fabulous series of lectures in the months preceding the Italy trip explaining where we would be going and what we'd be seeing. They have given at least one lecture about the upcoming Greece trip that was open to everyone. I forgot to put the date on my calendar, so I missed that one.

Lukeion sends out monthly e-mails, so you could sign up for their mailing list.

The Teaching Company makes free lectures available fairly often. Didn't they do a Christmas one last year? You can sign up for their e-mails also.