Menu

Do I have it pretty much covered?

dawnofmotherhood

This is what I am thinking - please tell me if I am missing anything important. I have 4 kids - 12, 11, 8 and 7. History and Science will be together.

History:

Ancients - Go through Story of the World 1, notebooking along the way, mapwork with it, and the older two will be also outlining the time period using the Usborne History encyclopedia.

Science:

Apologia Zoology (swimming creatures) - We'll be making lapbooks with this (so it will be a little different than the history). I will also be having Austin and Nate do further investigation as needed. We will also plan on taking a whale watching cruise when dh gets home in March.

History and Science will be done on alternate days - 4 days a week for about 90 minutes. It will be all together, with Austin and Nate having a little deeper investigation to do and more writing.

Austin (12/6th grade) and Nathan (11/5th grade):

LA:

grammar - Rod and Staff English

writing - in history and science - learning how to outline and rewrite in own words

reading - library books from list I am making - including some selections from Historical period we are studying - also he will have free reading

spelling - Phonics Zoo (IEW)

Math:

Key to.... decimals, percents, fractions - I want to get them both solid on these so that in the fall we can start them both with Intro to Algebra (AoPS).

Adam (8/3rd grade) & Lauren (7/2nd grade):

LA:

grammar - FLL level 3 for Adam, 2nd grade for Lauren

spelling - Phonics Zoo - Lauren will use the rest of the year's K12 spelling words

reading - library books from list, history and science books from library

handwriting - HWT cursive for Adam and printing for Lauren

Math:

finish up K12 math book

Edited by dawnofmotherhood

With one reservation/question, it looks good to me.

I'm not sure that I would consider the Keys to Books complete enough to prepare for Algebra. Have they previously completed a math program? If they've already finished one of the popular programs (Singapore, Horizons, MUS, RS or Rod & Staff) through the 6th grade or Prealgebra level, then I'd so the Keys to are good refreshers.

HTH, Stacy

With one reservation/question, it looks good to me.

I'm not sure that I would consider the Keys to Books complete enough to prepare for Algebra. Have they previously completed a math program? If they've already finished one of the popular programs (Singapore, Horizons, MUS, RS or Rod & Staff) through the 6th grade or Prealgebra level, then I'd so the Keys to are good refreshers.

HTH, Stacy

Yes, the Key to books would be review of topics they already covered. I want to wait until the fall to start Algebra, but figured these would be good for review of topics they might not be completely comfortable in yet.

I would revisit your Encyclopedia choice for History again. The Usborne Book is great for the younger kids. For the older kids I would either outline SOTW or get Kingfisher History Encyclopedia.

Susie

... or wait to see which History Encylopedia / spine SWB is going to recommend in the new version of WTM.

I agree that Usborne is too young for your older two.