Menu

8th grade Language arts

Dianthus

I'm late getting things settled this year. For both of my kids, ds10 and dd12, I need to streamline a bit. We'll be doing IEW writing again. I'm thinking of returning to FixIt grammar. We'll also be doing Spelling Workout and, I'm pretty certain we'll do Teaching the Classics. Is Fix It too light for 8th grade? I would like to supplement with some diagramming also, but I will be pressed for time.

15 minutes ago, Slache said:

If you need to streamline I would put diagraming off until next year.

They've done some diagramming, and I don't like to lose skills. And I thought it was the only fun part of grammar, as a kid. I have a couple stand alone diagramming books and could just diagram a sentence every week.

I wish Fixit had diagramming.

15 minutes ago, Spirea said:

They've done some diagramming, and I don't like to lose skills. And I thought it was the only fun part of grammar, as a kid. I have a couple stand alone diagramming books and could just diagram a sentence every week.

I wish Fixit had diagramming.

This sounds perfect.

My 8th graders were pretty much done with separate grammar, so I wouldn't consider Fix It too light. Just the diagramming practice you mentioned wouldn't be too light either. Average 8th graders can be covering grammar as needed in their writing. 

My 14yo who just finished 8th grade used Writing With Skill and their literature was from their Build Your Library level. That's all they did for English.

(I would not push anything off until next year though. High school is more time consuming and those "little" pieces add up fast.)

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 2