Menu

Trail Guides to Learning - Paths of Exploration for 1st grader

EmilyGF

Hi all,

ETA: Just realized I can download the first six weeks for free and try it out! I'll figure it out from there. 🙂

Have you used this curriculum? I've been drooling over it recently. 🙂 I spent last summer writing all my own lesson plans, and though I felt quite prepared during the year, the idea of using something pre-planned that includes some "extras" like cooking etc is really nice. 

My rising 1st grader is the first one who has really wanted to go to school. Her older brother (rising-5th) is a huge energy vacuum and makes it hard to school her like I would want to. Sigh. I'm wondering if I could do Paths of Exploration with the two together and she feel more excited about homeschool. 

She literally taught herself a whole list of things (how to walk to the park on her own, how to tie shoelaces, her address and phone number) because she thought if she learned them, she would get to go to kindergarten. I'm trying to bring more excitement into her school day. 

Thoughts?

Emily

Edited by EmilyGF

What did she do this year?

First grade kids are usually still learning to read, handwriting, and basic arithmetic with a bunch of good books read aloud to them.

Honestly- that is too far of an age/ability gap to combine.  You would be better off choosing individual things.

Why is your 5th such a time/energy suck? Maybe consider a schedule change so 1st gets Mom time FIRST. (See what I did there?) 5th is old enough to work alone for many things. Try a weekly checklist broken down by day.

As for Paths- I was always intrigued, but my olders aged out by the time I saw it.

Ideas:

Five in a Row: fun literature extensions in “gravy” areas suitable for both ages for fun

Oak Meadow: all in one, except for phonics 

Blossom and Root: all in one

k12 independent: very school but very well done, if it fits your budget; skip the math

The Good and The Beautiful: new Gr 1 LA releases later this month, other subjects, as well

Look at Cathy Duffy’s reviews under Unit Studies

Edited by Green Bean

These are my two youngest kids. I have successfully homeschooled the three older ones. I've done all the habit training/scheduling/etc stuff there is. DS10 is his own person. I think he's going to be successful in life because he has everything going for him, but he's hard to homeschool.

If you haven't used this curriculum, which is what my question is about, you are welcome to skip this question.

Thanks!

Emily