Menu

Renal Support Dog Foods Recommendations?

Jenny in Florida

My dog has just been diagnosed with kidney insufficiency. The vet has assured me it's early yet and there is no cause for immediate panic, but she has recommended switching to a kidney-supportive food. She sent an email with a few brands that would work. However, I do try to stick with brands that don't do any invasive animal testing, and none of the brands the vet suggested (Hills, K/D, Purina, Royal Canin) is in that category.

I've checked all the brands and manufacturers I know to be as low-cruelty as possible (given the fact that we are talking about products involving animal flesh), but none of them produce a renal support food.

If the answer is there really just isn't a good option, then I'll hold my nose and buy one of the suggested brands. But I'd love it if anyone happens to know of a better option?

1 hour ago, Jenny in Florida said:

My dog has just been diagnosed with kidney insufficiency. The vet has assured me it's early yet and there is no cause for immediate panic, but she has recommended switching to a kidney-supportive food. She sent an email with a few brands that would work. However, I do try to stick with brands that don't do any invasive animal testing, and none of the brands the vet suggested (Hills, K/D, Purina, Royal Canin) is in that category.

I've checked all the brands and manufacturers I know to be as low-cruelty as possible (given the fact that we are talking about products involving animal flesh), but none of them produce a renal support food.

If the answer is there really just isn't a good option, then I'll hold my nose and buy one of the suggested brands. But I'd love it if anyone happens to know of a better option?

The question is, what sort of diet is actually "kidney supportive?"

Companies like Hills, which fund veterinary educational nutrition information, always opt for reducing the protein content in a dog's diet, and while they reduce overall protein they largely replace high-quality animal proteins that are easy for dogs to digest with significant amounts of plant based proteins that are notoriously hard on the kidneys.

These so-called "supportive" diets often come in the form of dried kibble, which exacerbate the problems with dehydration that are often at the crux of the issue in the first place. 

So there is serious controversy about whether the conventional wisdom is completely misguided and --in fact--backwards.

You might want to consider a natural balanced raw diet with high moisture foods and high-quality (and easily digestible) protein as an alternative. Or not.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

4 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I'm not opposed to a DIY solution, but my pup is used to free feeding with dry food (along with plenty of water, of course). She's an older pup and set in her ways, so I would prefer to find something with which I can just replace her current food 1:1.

You might want to read up on the role of dry food in a canine diet and the adverse effects it has on kidney function. Same with plant proteins.

If that is not of interest to you, I'll drop out.

Bill