Menu

Anyone moved from Blogger to Wordpress?

I LOVE Wordpress. I have currently 5 or 6 blogs and it was scary thinking about moving them all. It was brainless. They also have a lot more designs that suit my style and many features that blogger didn't have. Blogger is cumbersome, Wordpress is dreamy. Make the move!

http://inlightofeternity.wordpress.com

I have blogs at both and prefer Blogger. I like having the ability to create new pages at WordPress, but I have much more control over my template (without paying for an upgrade) and can add more widgets on Blogger than on WordPress. WordPress also gives me formatting and photo fits occasionally and refuses to let me put spaces between paragraphs. You also can't embed most video or add any third-party Javascript widgets on WP, which is really annoying at times. I still like WordPress, but just today I was considering moving everything to Blogger.

Edited by WordGirl

Thank you both of you.

Julesnpebbles....what makes Wordpress dreamy for you? What really stands out?

Interesting about the template Wordgirl. I love the way there are stacks of free templates that people have made for Blogger. Can you not get that for Wordpress? Or you can get it and pay for it?

You have almost persuaded me to stay with Blogger actually.

Guest eliza_leigh

Umm.. I tried installing Wordpress on my pc, unfortunately, I couldn't understand the instructions when it says "Upload everything.". What everything? I got lost.

I have blogs at both and prefer Blogger.

I prefer WP, but I have accounts at both

I like having the ability to create new pages at WordPress, but I have much more control over my template (without paying for an upgrade) and can add more widgets on Blogger than on WordPress.

The pages were a big deal for me. I wish I could do more with my template, but can't unless I upgrade. . .and honestly, I don't go look at my blog, so I'm not too terribly bothered. The widgits thing is big. LibraryThing, and Shelfari are two that will not work on WP, for example.

Let me state though, this is all for the free WP blogs. Those that have upgraded or have their own host seem to have "full access" to templates, widgets, etc.

WordPress also gives me formatting and photo fits occasionally

ummm, yes! In fact, I post all my pics over on the Blogger account and copy and paste them into the WP account, cuz I determined it was easier than figuring out how to format them in WP. I do know it can be done though, as my aunt has taken the time to figure it out. . .

and refuses to let me put spaces between paragraphs.

think I've only had this problem once.

You also can't embed most video or add any third-party Javascript widgets on WP, which is really annoying at times. I

YouTube videos normally post just fine. Vodpod videos post fine. I won't lie to you, sometimes it takes a couple of time to ensure WP will take it, but it will normally go in. (You have to post them under the HTML tab, not under the visual tab.) I haven't tried any others. Oh, certain slide-shows won't work. I think to make a slide show I went to photobucket, then to Vodpod and then uploaded to WP from there.

Aside from lack of pages, there were a couple of other reasons I switched, but it was over 2 years ago now, and I can't recall what they all were. (Blogger, only had a couple of templates then, I believe, so that maybe one of the things.)

Interesting about the template Wordgirl. I love the way there are stacks of free templates that people have made for Blogger. Can you not get that for Wordpress? Or you can get it and pay for it?

You have almost persuaded me to stay with Blogger actually.

You can't really change your template on WP unless you pay for a custom CSS upgrade or host WordPress on your own site. I was comparing Blogger to free WP, but if I had my own site, I would probably go for WP over Blogger because you would have so many more options in that case. You can still pick from a variety of templates at free WP, many of which will let you adjust colors, add a custom header, etc.