Menu

MCT compared to WWS?

Ausmumof3

MCT and WWS both are focused on academic writing but that is where their similarities end. Neither of these will work for every kid. 

WWS (WTM resources) are easily divided into daily lessons and WWS is easy for the teacher to use with excellent explanations and even some scripted conversations. MCT is hard to figure out where to stop for the day, not divided into easily defined daily lessons; it is not scripted at all. 

WWS is designed to be able to hand to the independent student and that student do much of the work independently. Usually that is not done with MCT materials. Some kids can manage to read and grasp the ideas, but it is very beneficial to have a person to read along and point out some things. 

WWS is very parts to whole, learning the little bits and pieces that make up structured writing. MCT seems more whole to parts. You are looking more at the big picture of writing and grammar rather than little parts that make up the big picture. It goes from sentences to paragraphs to essays, but does so in a “this is the ultimate goal” type of way. 

WWS offers clear, concise grading rubrics. MCT is not as easy to grade and offer productive feedback for a person who is not as comfortable teaching writing in that way. 

These are two excellent choices, but I feel are very much opposites and work with very different kids. 

After completing WWS 1, I would go with the Voyage level. Just be warned that some do not actually use the writing suggestions. I have used the paragraph town level and Essay Voyage level. The grammar really clicked with my student but lacked adequate practice with the concepts. 

Edited by Kezia
Grammar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2022 at 2:20 AM, Kezia said:

MCT and WWS both are focused on academic writing but that is where their similarities end. Neither of these will work for every kid. 

WWS (WTM resources) are easily divided into daily lessons and WWS is easy for the teacher to use with excellent explanations and even some scripted conversations. MCT is hard to figure out where to stop for the day, not divided into easily defined daily lessons; it is not scripted at all. 

WWS is designed to be able to hand to the independent student and that student do much of the work independently. Usually that is not done with MCT materials. Some kids can manage to read and grasp the ideas, but it is very beneficial to have a person to read along and point out some things. 

WWS is very parts to whole, learning the little bits and pieces that make up structured writing. MCT seems more whole to parts. You are looking more at the big picture of writing and grammar rather than little parts that make up the big picture. It goes from sentences to paragraphs to essays, but does so in a “this is the ultimate goal” type of way. 

WWS offers clear, concise grading rubrics. MCT is not as easy to grade and offer productive feedback for a person who is not as comfortable teaching writing in that way. 

These are two excellent choices, but I feel are very much opposites and work with very different kids. 

After completing WWS 1, I would go with the Voyage level. Just be warned that some do not actually use the writing suggestions. I have used the paragraph town level and Essay Voyage level. The grammar really clicked with my student but lacked adequate practice with the concepts. 

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I’m thinking of doing some work through the earlier grammar programmes as well, as we aren’t brilliant at grammar here, then jumping in at voyage. DD is working her way through The Creative Writer but she’s nearly done with it. We needed something a bit less intense after Writing With Skill for a few months, but I’m ready to get into something again.