Menu

CC getting rid of all lower level math classes

In California a law, AB 705, was written that says community college students can’t be placed into remedial (non 4 -year transferable classes) math and English classes. So even if you don’t meet the pre-requisites a student can enroll in college algebra/statistics and English 101. 

I can see both sides of this debate but what concerns me now is that many California community colleges are going a step further and are getting rid of all math classes below college algebra/stats. My 9th grader took a dual enrollment intermediate algebra course in the fall and moved onto trig this semester. In 10th grade he will most likely take a semester of precalculus in the fall then start calculus in the spring.

I was planning on having his younger brother follow the same pathway but now I noticed there are no intermediate algebra classes offered at all in any of the three closest community colleges to us. Combined they probably offered at least 30 sections of intermediate algebra last fall but now offer none. I don’t understand how this is possible when certain programs such as nursing require intermediate algebra. I suppose they will make students take college algebra instead?

So if you are are planning on having your kids dual enroll in math classes in CA make sure you look at your local CC to see if lower levels of math are still being offered. 

• Like 1