Menu

S/O what size house for the empty nest?

teachermom2834

10 hours ago, Insertcreativenamehere said:

We've raised our kids in a house that is about 1600 sq ft -- we moved here with 2 kids and now have 4. The layout is not the best and we have minimal storage. (needed with a high medical needs kid and his medical supplies.) I love our yard, though, and the location is very convenient.

We're moving in a few weeks to a house about twice the size. It was a unique opportunity we couldn't pass up although we certainly don't need quite that much space. There is a massive amount of storage room. It is possible to set up the basement as separate living quarters which might be helpful for our youngest who will never live independently and will need a great deal of support. I'll care for him as long as I can but he will need the level of care given in a medical group home and I'm not comfortable with that at this point. I'd rather hire caregivers to care for him in our home. It's also possible to live primarily on one level which will be good as we age. 

So.  Much.  Equipment.  We just converted the family room into a bedroom suite for DS.  The hardest part was pulling out the carpet and installing the LVP, which couldn't be the click-together kind because it's no match for the power wheelchair.  We tried converting the DR to his bedroom for a few years and using the LR as a DR, but his equipment kept spilling into the DR area to get it out of his way.  We gave up and turned over the largest room to him.  The adjustable bed, power chair, hoyer lift, portable bathtub, and shower chair are all finally contained in HIS space.  I still need to add more accessible shelving so he can get to more of his stuff without assistance. Now, for the first time in years, my living room is a living room and my dining room is a dining room again.  

• Like 4