Menu

Latin after GSWL and KGWL

lulalu

DS will be finishing up Keep Going with Latin. We have loved GSWL and KGWL. The layout has been great. We like the focus on translation and grammar work. 

What to use next? 

I have looked at Henle and it seems like what I want. Lots of grammar and translation. Is 10.5 too young for this? MP schedules it for high school. Also looking at reviews it seems like a lot of the translations are gory. Does anyone sell DVDs for it? It might help if we can have a DVD or CD to work with. I don't want a live class. 

Visual Latin looks nice too. But we haven't done a class mostly with videos so I don't know how DS would do. But I like the Bible being used for translations. Does VL have diagramming? Is it incremental and logical? Explain the grammar well? 

Anything else that has been a great follow up to GSWL? I don't want to use anything flashy, plain and simple work best for us. DS is a language kid, so he picks up these things easily. So I also don't want another introduction course, but looking at high school level. 

• Like 1

We liked Lively Latin. Books 1 and 2 are apparently equivalent to a year of high school. The FAQs talk about how to transition in to Henle afterwards, so you could move to Henle at that point with two more years of maturity along with the additional vocabulary and grammar.

It has been a while, but I remember there was some diagramming, a nice stroll through Roman history (that could be skipped if you aren't interested), and we paired the program with Anki rather than traditional flashcards. There were some video lessons available, but we didn't use them. But then we were in the habit of using the worktext exclusively. The end of the second book felt a bit rushed, but we were wrapping up our Latin studies at that point, so I let it go. If we were moving to Henle I might have added some review and reinforcement.

• Like 1