Menu

Literature guide for Chronicles of Narnia series?

cross-posted on Chat forum

When my ds25 was a freshman in high school, we used the curriculum Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings. It was so good!! I just told DH I might buy it for me and him to do together again. Our whole family did the LOTR study and we had such a good time with it. 

I have never read the Narnia series in its entirety. I know I read the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe when I was young, but I don't recall reading any of the other books. I want a good literary breakdown as I read it.

I looked for something but I don't know what's best. Do you have a recommendation?

Well, the Chronicles of Narnia are at a late elementary/middle school level of reading, so you're probably not going to find a super-deep lit. guide, because they will all be for that younger age.

I'd first suggest:
- Further Up & Further In: Understanding Narnia (Pearce) -- adult guide

Or, possibly one of these, although they are kid level:
- A Family Guide to Narnia: Biblical Truths in Narnia (Ditchfield)
- Believing in Narnia: A Kid's Guide to Unlocking the Secret Symbols of Faith in Narnia (Gillespie)
- Roar: A Christian Family Guide to the Chronicles of Narnia (Kopp) -- a lot of activities and hands-on
- Further Up and Further In -- Cadron Creek; gr. 4-6 year-long unit study with activities (bible & reading + science, art, history, geography, etc.)

6 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Well, the Chronicles of Narnia are at a late elementary/middle school level of reading, so you're probably not going to find a super-deep lit. guide, because they will all be for that younger age.

I'd first suggest:
- Further Up & Further In: Understanding Narnia (Pearce) -- adult guide

Or, possibly one of these, although they are kid level:
- A Family Guide to Narnia: Biblical Truths in Narnia (Ditchfield)
- Believing in Narnia: A Kid's Guide to Unlocking the Secret Symbols of Faith in Narnia (Gillespie)
- Roar: A Christian Family Guide to the Chronicles of Narnia (Kopp) -- a lot of activities and hands-on
- Further Up and Further In -- Cadron Creek; gr. 4-6 year-long unit study with activities (bible & reading + science, art, history, geography, etc.)

Thanks Lori. I found one from a company called 7Sisters that is high school level. They also have a way to make it an advanced high school course and college prep level. I won't be doing that stuff though. I have no desire to write my own fictional world emulating Lewis. But I appreciate the links. Surprisingly, I like kids' materials. I'll take a look. The one I got from 7Sisters was only $6 so DH figured even if I didn't love it, it's not a big loss. Plus they have a 10-day money back guarantee though I don't know how they could offer that. They are an all ecurriculum company.