Menu

Favorite online German classes these days

Is she a motivated learner, casually interested, or just checking the box? German 2 at WTMA is working well for my "casually interested" and younger "motivated learner". Also for their non-German speaking mother who thinks world language study is important in high school, but not critical for post-secondary study.

I do wish there was more student talking, I don't think there can be enough, and Leven's Spanish classes really spoiled me as to what is possible.

19 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Is she a motivated learner, casually interested, or just checking the box? German 2 at WTMA is working well for my "casually interested" and younger "motivated learner". Also for their non-German speaking mother who thinks world language study is important in high school, but not critical for post-secondary study.

I do wish there was more student talking, I don't think there can be enough, and Leven's Spanish classes really spoiled me as to what is possible.

Good questions, I should have clarified.  She’s motivated as far as I can tell, has chosen German herself, and is working through Getting Started With German on her own this year.  I’m hoping she’ll be close to done with it by school starting next fall.

7 minutes ago, Trilliumlady said:

has chosen German herself, and is working through Getting Started With German on her own this year.

That sounds motivated to me! That is great! I didn't realize that book existed. I don't know where you all stand on electronics, but my dc all do Duolingo for the repetitive practice of grammar topics and vocabulary. Well, that is why *I* encourage it, they do it mostly because of the prizes I've assigned to different streak-lengths. 😁

Last summer we spent two years of unused vacation money to send my motivated German learner to Concordia Language German camp. Very personality dependant, but that super-charged her speaking and vocabulary abilities.