Menu

Want to share: huge hit in my house. Perfect for End of November

Alicia64

Hi Everyone,

When my guys were little -- 10 and under -- I would order Christmas books from the library.

I'd get the books home, wrap them, and put them under the tree.

Then every evening in December I would tell my boys that they could each pick one wrapped book each evening. The boys would get to open the "gift" and get a great read-aloud that very evening.

I don't know who loved this more: me or the boys. 🥰

Edited by Alicia64
Spelling!! :)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Spirea said:

We already have a huge pile of library Christmas books, but what a lovely idea to wrap them and enjoy this way. So magical!

Right! It's the unwrapping thing that the kids love so much in December. It's such a fun memory from my boys' kid-hoods. ❤️

4 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

Right! It's the unwrapping thing that the kids love so much in December. It's such a fun memory from my boys' kid-hoods. ❤️

I've actually been pondering all day how to make time to get to the library to choose 24 new books to do this! I don't know what they have read from what I have in our library basket!

• Like 1

I had about 10 Christmas books in our library basket, and they were at the bottom so I don't think they were read yet. My husband picked up about a dozen more library books on his way home, and I'll throw in a few of our own Christmas books if I need more. Also, I had already purchased Papa Panov's Special Christmas by Tolstoy, so I'll definitely include it in this project. I'll have a lot of wrapping to do tomorrow.  Thank you so much for sharing. Such a great idea!

We do this as a sort of Advent calendar. Years ago, I picked up a bunch of Christmas books from a used bookstore, and I supplement with a few books from the library.  They all get wrapped and each day, one kid gets to unwrap a book and it is the last thing we read on the couch for morning time. I really love Cobweb Christmas by Shirley Climo, and I think I am the only reason our library still owns it. The Worst Person's Christmas by James Stevenson and The Mole Family's Christmas by Russel Hoban were two totally random titles from the used bookstore, and have become some of my favorites. I usually add a new title each year, because it's an excuse to buy a book. :laugh: