Menu

Intermediate Algebra - AOPS (timing)

SoCal_Bear

I know that there isn't an issue running Intermediate alongside of Intro to Geomtery. However, he has a serious workload for his studies now that we are about to start math circle, Science Olympiad and fall golf.  We aren't finding enough time to fit in Intermediate Algebra for the second half of the textbook. Would there be an issue running this side by side with precalculus next year? 

• Like 1

because I only need 1/2 the book, and he wants a live class. I don't see the point of delaying pre-calc when the AOPS class for WTMA doesn't require that to be covered.

It might be possible to pick this up in the spring...but the workload is heavy with the CVC Chem class that I'm not optimistic and the text based AOPS courses aren't going to be a good fit.

Edited by calbear

Came back to add that he would like to do Awesome Math courses next summer...so I was wondering if the topics in the second half of Intermediate Algebra might be covered in their algebra series? 

Algebra 1.5
Develops essential skills such as factoring, grouping, recognizing roots, telescoping sums/products, and rationalizing. Solving (systems of) equations/inequalities (linear, absolute value, quadratic, rational, radical) is the main theme of the course. Discriminants, Viete’s relations, and symmetric polynomials also play a central role. This is the entry level algebra course. It covers all AMC levels and easy end of AIME and ARML. This course is a good fit for students with MathCounts state level experience, AMC10/12 scores approaching AIME qualifying cuts, or an AIME score between 1 and 3.

Algebra 2.5
Studies special systems of equations, discriminants, Viete’s relations, symmetric polynomials, functional properties. Introduces (weighted) AM–GM–HM and Cauchy–Schwarz inequalities. This is the intermediate level algebra course. It covers the hard end of AMC12, and the medium to hard end of ARML and AIME. A student with an AIME score between 4 and 7 should be a good fit for this course.

Edited by calbear

On 9/25/2021 at 12:30 PM, calbear said:

I know that there isn't an issue running Intermediate alongside of Intro to Geomtery. However, he has a serious workload for his studies now that we are about to start math circle, Science Olympiad and fall golf.  We aren't finding enough time to fit in Intermediate Algebra for the second half of the textbook. Would there be an issue running this side by side with precalculus next year? 

I don’t see any reason why not. Are you asking whether one requires the other?