Menu

AAS - which level?

mommy25

I just answered this on the other thread: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=681690#poststop

If your older kids are on grade-level and find spelling easy, then they might be beyond the AAS books that are out right now. But on the other hand if you think they might have some holes, you can go through things quickly as I said in the other thread and focus on the parts they need help with. I've actually been surprised at some of the holes I've found by using this!

Merry :-)

We did AAS 1 with my 4th grade struggling speller and found it to be absolutely too elementary. My 4th grader was honestly horrified when the book would come out. We dropped it after a couple of weeks of trying. I suppose I should have placed him higher, but the issue is that if you do not learn "their way," then the later books seem to make no sense. :(

I suppose I should have placed him higher, but the issue is that if you do not learn "their way," then the later books seem to make no sense. :(

Regardless of where you place the child, both you and the child are learning a new way of learning spelling. Wether you start at book one or book three, you'll both still 'learn' the new method as you go....and what you know about spelling will fall in place within that framework.

:)

K

We did AAS 1 with my 4th grade struggling speller and found it to be absolutely too elementary. My 4th grader was honestly horrified when the book would come out. We dropped it after a couple of weeks of trying. I suppose I should have placed him higher, but the issue is that if you do not learn "their way," then the later books seem to make no sense. :(

If you didn't return your AAS, you can do that (they have a one-year guarantee), or you can also exchange for another level.

You also can start in level 2 and still do fine progressing with it. One of the secrets to doing AAS with a more advanced student is just to teach the rules, pull out a couple of words to make sure the student understands WHY the word is spelled that way (this helps lay a foundation for upper level words), and move on. You don't have to do all of the words, or all of the dictation. You just want to fill in holes and then move on. I've known people to go through an entire book in just 1-2 weeks this way, until they hit what is new material for their child.

Anyway, maybe it's not for you, but posted in case it might help you or someone else.

Merry :-)