Menu

After Song School Latin 1?

Janeway

Of the kids I am home schooling now, the oldest will be going in to 6th, then a 4th grader, and then a 1st grader. We started SSL 1 last year but stopped at the holidays and never got going again once Dad died. I thought it was time to get going again. I know it is very basic, but we are currently doing it as a family thing or "Family Latin." Older child has been working independently with GSWL. Again, I have not put effort in to directing him or anything since Dad died. 

Now that summer has begun, I decided to have us start up SSL 1 again but go quickly, as in a unit each day or so. This means we will easily be done by end of July.  In the fall, I wish for my oldest to get more serious about Latin, even if we continue with this family style Latin program we have going (we do more things than just what is in the books). Should I continue through SSL2 (I do not already own this so it would cost) while he still works on GSWL? My 4th grader really wants to learn French. I could continue to have this "family Latin" class in the fall, but it comes at a cost and takes time when time gets a little limited come fall. I could switch and use GSWL for our "family Latin time" instead of purchasing the next level. And I also own First Form Latin, everything needed for that level. I am thinking older child can start FFL as another option. SSL1 is rather easy to implement and has such short lessons that it amounts to exposure that is great for the youngest, so I made it family style to give us all fun and something to do together. Not sure if I should plan to purchase SSL2 for fall, or if I should just use what I have in the house, such as Minimus (which I only have the textbook and website for, not the rest of the materials, but I do like Minimus!)

Dd11 really liked GSWL in 5th grade. Too late, I learned he has also come out with Get Going with Latin. After she was about half way through, I beefed it up a little by giving her the English answers from the previous lessons and having her translate them to Latin. I liked it better than SSL2, which we also did.