Menu

Does anyone use "Living Books Curriculum"? Can you review it for me please?

FriedClams

I am interested in the 3rd grade program for a 2nd and 3rd grade next year. The books look great. I love the CM approach and it seems it would free up some time for a more in depth study of things that interest us. We're doing SOTW 1 this year and if I don't go with the LBC than we'll just move on to SOTW 2 next year. I am getting tired of seraching out good literature and I like that LBC has lots of great living books in it. My main concern is dual history time periods and it being not rigorous enough. Has anyone used this??

I have used LBC. If you search Living Books Curriculum, you will find a variety of posts.

It is very rigorous. The dual history periods were not a problem whatsoever for my children. We enjoyed learning about both.

I have used first and second grade- both "unrevised."

I have the unrevised third grade on my shelf.

It is very "pure" CM in my opinion.

Hope this helps,

Rebecca

I really like the living books curriculum. The teachers manual have what to do per week but not what to read on a daily basis, this way you can plan out your week the way you want it. I enjoyed all the books, Such a great variety, very thorough, I used the unrevised. nancyt.:001_smile:

We used LBC Grade 3 at the beginning of this year for only about 7 weeks.

Here is a previous post of mine reviewing our experience:

We purchased and used LBC Grade 3 for 7 weeks. I tried to combine my 8yo and 11yo.

What I liked:

• the book selections
  • the true to CM Method
  • ease of use
  • completeness (just add math)

What I didn't like:

• I felt the books varied in difficulty and I wasn't sure what my child(ren) should read or what I should read.
  • the true CM method (lol - I realized I like some elements, but I'm not a die-hard.)

Honestly, if I weren't trying to combine, I think I would've liked it more. However, we missed reading together (especially SOTW!) and the cohesiveness of studying just one time period. In our case, my guys are "just the facts, ma'am" kind of fellas. It was just too much information for them. They want to get their studies done and work on catching critters and building projects.

If you enjoy the CM method of teaching and learning, then it may be worth considering. The Carrolls have done a wonderful job of making it very easy to implement.

Additionally, since your children are much closer in age than mine and if they are academically as well, it may be a good fit.