Menu

Creative writing

I am not homeschooling, but we do theme units over the summer. My rising 6th and 4th graders have asked to do creative writing and lots of reading.  I prefer diverse authors and they love high interest, well written stories.

What I really want to find is a combination literature/creative writing program.  I like some of Bravewriter’s ideas, but it’s lighter than what I’m looking for.

To be fair, I have a B.A. in writing, a master’s in education, and I’m working on an MFA in literature and creative writing.  I am picky.  I could probably write my own curriculum,  but I don’t want to reinvent the wheel either. 

I can't think of a full program with both of those, but I don't use literature courses below high school. We read and discuss high quality children's literature. 

The elementary Don't Forget to Write book has fun creative writing assignments. Each lesson stands alone so you could easily pick and choose your favorites. STEM to Story from the same publisher could likely work for those ages too.