Menu

Grid drawing books

Elinor Everywhere

what I did was to take a simple drawing (I used a cartoon type picture of an Egyptian god and goddess when we were studying Egypt). The picture was about 2 inches by two inches. I put a grid over it that I drew on a page protector. Then I took a very large sheet of butcher paper and folded it into the same amount of squares that was on my grid. The pictures turned out great and the kids really were proud of them!! I would recommend choosing a picture that has pretty distinct lines to start out. P1010286.jpg

P1010285.jpg

I thought about posting this when you first asked, but I wanted to wait and see if someone had a full program to recommend first.

My son did R&S Artpac 6 this year, and he just finished up a unit on grid drawing. There's only 6 lessons out of the 36 lessons specifically on grid drawing. Other concepts include shading & shadow, drawing animals, perspective drawing, and lettering.

Like their other products, R&S Artpac is a no frills approach to art. The instructions are written directly to the student. All of the artsheets are provided for each lesson; you just need to provide copier paper, pencil, eraser, etc. Artpac (for 6th grade) has 6 pages of instructions, the artsheets, and grid paper. However, it's only $7.25. To my surprise, our boys really enjoy the Artpacs. It's usually quick and easy, and they've produced some very nice art projects. FWIW...

I thought about posting this when you first asked, but I wanted to wait and see if someone had a full program to recommend first.

My son did R&S Artpac 6 this year, and he just finished up a unit on grid drawing. There's only 6 lessons out of the 36 lessons specifically on grid drawing. Other concepts include shading & shadow, drawing animals, perspective drawing, and lettering.

Like their other products, R&S Artpac is a no frills approach to art. The instructions are written directly to the student. All of the artsheets are provided for each lesson; you just need to provide copier paper, pencil, eraser, etc. Artpac (for 6th grade) has 6 pages of instructions, the artsheets, and grid paper. However, it's only $7.25. To my surprise, our boys really enjoy the Artpacs. It's usually quick and easy, and they've produced some very nice art projects. FWIW...

Hmm, I never realized R&S had an art program. Come to think of it, I've always tagged along on orders placed by friends (for the grammar) and I've never even seen a catalog. This might be a good option, especially since it is directed at the student. As you may have guessed, I am not artistically talented at all, although I am creative when it comes to other arenas.

Because I feel so inadequate about my own drawing skills, I tend to drop art at the mere possibility of doing something (ANYTHING) else. Thanks for mentioning this program.

what I did was to take a simple drawing (I used a cartoon type picture of an Egyptian god and goddess when we were studying Egypt). The picture was about 2 inches by two inches. I put a grid over it that I drew on a page protector. Then I took a very large sheet of butcher paper and folded it into the same amount of squares that was on my grid.

Now that's a good idea. I could probably teach my dd to make her grid herself, thereby relieving me of having to be involved in.....shudder......art class.

But knowing me, I wouldn't get around to it, which is just a way of saying I'll do almost anything to avoid it. Not purposely, but it ends up being the reality. I've even blown off art class to clean house, do laundry, and exercise for crying out loud. Now that's desperation. :p

My dd9 takes an art class and they begin each child with grid drawing. It has really improved her drawing skills! Whether you decide to buy a book or make your own grids, I would recommend it. Mona Brookes' "Drawing With Children" is a good resource as well.:)

My dh just reminded me that we have both of these books (DWC & DWTRSOTB) at home! Plus several others, one that he thinks might actually be a grid drawing book. Sigh. We'll be home soon and who knows what I'll find on my shelves! :D

Thanks so much for all the suggestions--even if I do have those books (I will use them now), I still like the idea of the independent R&S materials, and the price is right. One can never have too many art books that lay around unused! :p