Menu

SOTW newer editions

Msweetpea2

Hi!

I'm trying to prep for later this year and have a question about the newer editions of SOTW. I have the older books for all 4 volumes, and I have the vol 1 activity pack (in pdf format, so I can print however many copies I need for my 4 kids).  Are the newer edition student pages that much different? I can't tell anything from the samples since they just show the exact same few pages that I already have. Also, are the additional coloring pages worth it? Since I'll have kiddos 7-12yo in Sept, I'd like to make sure there are some fun coloring pages for the littles, so I'm happy to spend the $8 if there are a decent amount of new images. Also, has anyone ever used the Review Question Worksheets (separate $8 pdf download) for older kids that are going through SOTW a second time? My oldest enjoys writing, but I don't want to bore her. (She's read through all SOTW volumes for fun a few times now, so I'm debating letting her do more independent history while I teach the 6, 8 and 10 yo together).

Thanks!!

I'm not sure if this will be precise enough info for you.  I don't own both editions, but have the newer version of SOTW 1 & 2 while my friend has the old ones.   From what I can tell, there are not *more* pictures, just some that are different and some that are now more clear.  The review questions seem to be the same, but the lit suggestions have been updated.  Consider getting some Dover or maybe Bellerophon colouring books instead of the SOTW ones - they have heaps at www.rainbowresource.com and they're only a few dollars.

If your oldest is 12, you might want to look at this recent thread about SOTW and alternatives for slightly older kiddos: https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/706974-logic-stage-history-ideas/?tab=comments#comment-8898937 Another possibility to consider instead of the review worksheets is whether your eldest might be up for outlining.  If you're in SOTW 1 the consensus seems to be that it's too story-like for outlining, but you could use articles from the Kingfisher encyclopedia or from an alternative spine like History Odyssey or the OUP World in Ancient Times series instead.  If you're in SOTW 4 on the other hand, it's actually deliberately structured to help kids learn outlining, and the activity guide reflects that.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, caffeineandbooks said:

I'm not sure if this will be precise enough info for you.  I don't own both editions, but have the newer version of SOTW 1 & 2 while my friend has the old ones.   From what I can tell, there are not *more* pictures, just some that are different and some that are now more clear.  The review questions seem to be the same, but the lit suggestions have been updated.  Consider getting some Dover or maybe Bellerophon colouring books instead of the SOTW ones - they have heaps at www.rainbowresource.com and they're only a few dollars.

If your oldest is 12, you might want to look at this recent thread about SOTW and alternatives for slightly older kiddos: https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/706974-logic-stage-history-ideas/?tab=comments#comment-8898937 Another possibility to consider instead of the review worksheets is whether your eldest might be up for outlining.  If you're in SOTW 1 the consensus seems to be that it's too story-like for outlining, but you could use articles from the Kingfisher encyclopedia or from an alternative spine like History Odyssey or the OUP World in Ancient Times series instead.  If you're in SOTW 4 on the other hand, it's actually deliberately structured to help kids learn outlining, and the activity guide reflects that.

Thank you so much! I've been reading through that thread and wracking my brain about how to make it all work. My oldest is actually 11 right now, but will be 12 this summer. I decided in Jan to skip world history and switch to American History through the summer and then start back up in Ancients in Sept. I SO appreciate the coloring book suggestions! I've been searching TPT to see if they have any decent American History coloring books that follow the general layout of the Complete History of the United States. (Mostly, I'm looking for something low-key, like a coloring page or fun wordcross etc, to keep the younger kids engaged while I read a chapter or two... they all LOVE Liberty Kids and my 11 yo is supplementing with Uncle Sam and I from Notgrass, as well as a million related books.) I'm still torn on whether to move forward with SOTW in the fall, as my older two (11 and 10 currently) were super over ancients by the halfway point when we through it the first time (they were 7 and 8yo... which is how old my younger two will be in the fall). 😱🤔😬 History is actually one of my most favorite subjects, and for some dumb reason seems to be the one that I struggle with the most. It may be because I REALLY want it to be a family subject, but the kids are at such varying abilities, attention spans and learning styles, that it's just not meant to be 😭

It sounds like you have a great plan.  For extending attention spans when they need a break from colouring, you could try Lego or playdough or even just drawing.  Brownies work pretty well at my house, too 😉 We meet with another family every other week to do hands on activities, which means I don't burn out trying to do projects every week and the kids don't get sick of them.  My current 4th grader is loving keeping a timeline and enjoying creating a fact list from the Usborne encyclopedia, but this is the first year he's been required to do either of those things.  He also listens to me read the chapter to the whole family, and usually a couple of other related read-alouds through the week, and he writes his own paragraph length narration while I scribe most of his 2nd grade brother's narration for him.  I hand him extra books that I know will hold his interest but the second grader rarely does independent extra reading.

I afterschool an 8th grader who is *not* joining us for history.  If she were, though, I would have her read a chapter from Human Odyssey (HO) or The World in Ancient Times (TWIAT) independently, and do extra reading and writing independently as well.  I would incorporate a reading list per WTM, somewhere between the logic stage (5th grade) and high school (9th) lists.  I think she could still fold in with the rest of us for the activities, though.  I don't think it would matter if her content lined up exactly - if it doesn't then it just functions as a bit of review and strengthens memory anyway.  If she were desperate to be included more, I'd have her listen to the SOTW chapter with everyone else and just assign the relevant HO/TWIAT chapters as independent reading anyway.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, caffeineandbooks said:

It sounds like you have a great plan.  For extending attention spans when they need a break from colouring, you could try Lego or playdough or even just drawing.  Brownies work pretty well at my house, too 😉 We meet with another family every other week to do hands on activities, which means I don't burn out trying to do projects every week and the kids don't get sick of them.  My current 4th grader is loving keeping a timeline and enjoying creating a fact list from the Usborne encyclopedia, but this is the first year he's been required to do either of those things.  He also listens to me read the chapter to the whole family, and usually a couple of other related read-alouds through the week, and he writes his own paragraph length narration while I scribe most of his 2nd grade brother's narration for him.  I hand him extra books that I know will hold his interest but the second grader rarely does independent extra reading.

I afterschool an 8th grader who is *not* joining us for history.  If she were, though, I would have her read a chapter from Human Odyssey (HO) or The World in Ancient Times (TWIAT) independently, and do extra reading and writing independently as well.  I would incorporate a reading list per WTM, somewhere between the logic stage (5th grade) and high school (9th) lists.  I think she could still fold in with the rest of us for the activities, though.  I don't think it would matter if her content lined up exactly - if it doesn't then it just functions as a bit of review and strengthens memory anyway.  If she were desperate to be included more, I'd have her listen to the SOTW chapter with everyone else and just assign the relevant HO/TWIAT chapters as independent reading anyway.

We are in the middle of a big move (actual move date is only 2 weeks away!) and I hope we find some other families that homeschool and want to hang out occasionally for fun activities (and extra points if they are more crafty than me! lol) Thank you for replying! I have a relative that worked at Goodwill Books and after reading through the posts, I snagged HO Vol 1 along with the Teachers and Student guide for under $25 including shipping! I know I don't technically need them until fall (and I may not even end up using the guides), but maybe we'll finish American History earlier than I think and I'll be ready to go. I really love your suggestion of including everyone during SOTW read aloud and allowing my oldest to independently read and complete a more detailed timeline. My 10yo (second child) also loves creating fact lists, although hers are extra pretty since she's my artist and the doodles often compete for space with the facts 😂.

I actually feel much better now about history, and following your link, I found that SOTW and HO chapter/topic side by side pdf! Thanks again 🙂

The Story of the World, Volume 3 was revised in 2020.  Here is a description of the revision.  https://support.welltrainedmind.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039631973-Tell-me-about-The-Story-of-the-World-Vol-3-the-2020-Revision

The Story of the World, Volume 4 will be revised in late spring 2021.  Here is an early description (not complete yet!) of that revision:  https://support.welltrainedmind.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050781113-When-will-you-revise-The-Story-of-the-World-Volume-4-

This article from our FAQ has some suggestions for using SOTW with intermediate students, and The Well-Trained Mind, 4th Edition, offers more suggestions.  

Thank you for your interest in our materials!