Menu

Transitioning mid year

Theunburdenedmom

Hello all,

I am new to this forum but found this group in my search for a better fit for our homeschool. Up to this point, we’ve been kind of hodge podging things together from various sources; Gather ‘Round, AGF language arts, and Masters for math. I have a second grader and a kindergartener. I also have two toddlers. 

At this point, I am just feeling the lack of “spine” that Gather Round is offering and was toying with the idea of switching fully to A Gentle Feast. I love the actual Charlotte mason approach that we’ve been really missing, and as I get to know our homeschooling goals, I’m realizing we’re really not in a Charlotte mason method at all. 

At this point I’m wondering if we should switch mid year or just keep trucking along and try to add in more charlotte mason elements to what we are already doing. Thank you in advance! 

Personally, I find Charlotte Mason's ideas to be very helpful in developing a good homeschool lifestyle. For this reason, I'd advise you to stick with what's basically working for now while (in all your free time, haha) reading Charlotte Mason's works. They are available in the public domain online and are pretty easy reads, as things go. Tweak things in your routine and non-school activities first, then think about what curriculum will help you achieve your goals on the next school year. I used many of Charlotte Mason's ideas, but I don't actually use any curriculum (I think) that bills itself "Charlotte Mason inspired." 

12 minutes ago, Xahm said:

Personally, I find Charlotte Mason's ideas to be very helpful in developing a good homeschool lifestyle. For this reason, I'd advise you to stick with what's basically working for now while (in all your free time, haha) reading Charlotte Mason's works. They are available in the public domain online and are pretty easy reads, as things go. Tweak things in your routine and non-school activities first, then think about what curriculum will help you achieve your goals on the next school year. I used many of Charlotte Mason's ideas, but I don't actually use any curriculum (I think) that bills itself "Charlotte Mason inspired." 

this is a wonderful idea and something I often encourage moms considering homeschool...then forget about myself. 😂 

What do you use? Are following a CM style generally and just using other curriculum or just making up your own? 

In early elementary, as long as they are consistently doing math and practicing reading, it doesn't really matter what you do.  A specific scope-and-sequence, interest-led, hands-on, read-aloud, field trip, documentary, traditional academic subjects or projects...whatever works for your family is fine, and you can switch at any time.  Some families have a philosophy that ends up translating well into practice, while others find that their preferred model doesn't work with their actual kids, or that different students need different things.  To me, other than the basics of math and reading, early elementary is about exposure to things, and you can pick and adjust the things, schedule, and method.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Theunburdenedmom said:

this is a wonderful idea and something I often encourage moms considering homeschool...then forget about myself. 😂 

What do you use? Are following a CM style generally and just using other curriculum or just making up your own? 

I'd say I'm using other curriculum and making up a little, but my selection and implementation of those is influenced by Mason's ideas.

I read several of her books about 5 years ago, so to be honest, I don't remember exactly what she said in different topics, but the ideas influenced my approach to things. Some things I disagreed with, at least as relates to my own kids, and other things I just can't pull off as we don't have the in-home help she was assuming. The things I can think of off-hand are simple but important things. Teaching good habits early on. Focusing in the early years on developing good character and nurturing hearts. Respecting children as little people who have a lot to learn. Creating a sense of connection to place and the nature in that place. Not expecting much in the way of attention spans but using nature to help them develop their attention. I really should go back and read more of what she recommended for elementary and up as when I first was reading I just had a 1&3 year old and focused on that.

As for what I use: For my 7&8 year olds: Beast Academy, Math Facts that Stick, Story of the World, All About Spelling, and lots and lots of books and life experience. For my 4 year old, he joins in listening, plus I make sure to throw in some related picture books and non-related ones I think he'd love. He does reading and math with me when he wants to, and occasionally handwriting. My two year old is learning lots, too, but very much only the character and habit things. We work on noticing when someone is sad or angry, or when we are feeling frustrated. We practice putting things where they go. We are starting to learn to take turns. We use quiet voices. All that fun stuff.