Menu

Users of Spencerian Penmanship

mathmarm

10 hours ago, Amoret said:

I just finished the fifth book, and I found it to be quite fun and relaxing. I worked on the series over the course of two or three years, and my handwriting is lovelier than ever. My kids are also working through the series, but also very slowly. They both have decent handwriting already, so this is more to refine their style (and because they want to). Spencerian writing isn't something I would absolutely require, and I think slow and steady is better than a get-it done approach.

I would say that one set of books is definitely enough. You could probably aim for one or two books per year, doing maybe 10 minutes each day. They are very tedious to do, and I found that if I spent too long on it, I became mindless and sloppy. When we work on them, we do a line or two from a few different pages instead of one page at a time. We also mix it up with calligraphy.

Thank you for chiming in! I was thinking slow-and-steady would be the way to go and that's one of the reasons that I was considering the 2 sets of practice workbooks.

Jr. has neat, legible handwriting but it's not lovely. I'm thinking that because he's fluent enough in his handwriting and it's legible that it's now time to begin working on Spencerian....

What pens do you use with it in your homeschool?