Menu

Berean Builders Online/DVD classes for MS vs MPOA Physical Science

Trilliumlady

I am not sure who I saw mentioning this class recently (?) in a thread on MS science.  I’m wondering if that poster or anyone else might be willing to chime in on their thoughts on this.

DD will be in 8th this coming year.  Has done Memoria Press Online Academy MS Science I and is in II this year and enjoying it.  I would like to consider online again for her, as this is working well for her. 

How does BB (maybe specifically the Science in the Atomic Age since it looks like that’s the only one appropriate for 8th grade? Maybe?) lay out their online work? DD is not super sciency, so I’m not feeling like she needs a hardcore science course at this point.  Would this be an appropriate course for an average workload? Have your kids enjoyed learning from Dr. Wile? I have one of his course books we were going to use way back when but then ended up using something else, but I appreciated the layout of the text at that point.  

MPOA Physical Science looks to be a pretty big step up in rigor.  I’m thinking she might not be quite prepared to take that on yet.  If you have had kids go through this MPOA series, would you mind either confirming or denying this for me?

Any thoughts or feedback on this course(s) would be greatly appreciated! Or anything else to 

My ds in 8th grade is using Science in the Atomic Age with the videos from BB. He is not a huge fan. The text is heavy (a little challenging for me to schedule as it isn't laid out in lessons/day), ds does not like the videos (they are another teacher, not Wile). The labs are good and he enjoys those-- there are a lot of them. The workload is appropriate for 8th grade I think. My ds is a science lover, and this text is not inspiring him, however. I have been toying with letting him do something else for the rest of the year. I will say, this is our first real science text, he is used to more of a living books approach. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 10:04 AM, Trilliumlady said:

I am not sure who I saw mentioning this class recently (?) in a thread on MS science.  I’m wondering if that poster or anyone else might be willing to chime in on their thoughts on this.

DD will be in 8th this coming year.  Has done Memoria Press Online Academy MS Science I and is in II this year and enjoying it.  I would like to consider online again for her, as this is working well for her. 

MPOA Physical Science looks to be a pretty big step up in rigor.  I’m thinking she might not be quite prepared to take that on yet.  If you have had kids go through this MPOA series, would you mind either confirming or denying this for me?

Any thoughts or feedback on this course(s) would be greatly appreciated! Or anything else to 

Chiming in --- my daughter went through MS Science I, II, then Physical Science and now Bio in the MPOA. 

It IS a definite step up in rigor, but it's doable. I think she ended up with an A or a high B, and that was with minimal gnashing of teeth. She's not particularly math minded, so the conversions/formulas gave her the most angst.