Menu

Spalding...how does the week look again, I forgot!

bfw0729

I had used Spalding years ago and have been using it with my second grader. I remember I had posted years ago about what the week looks like on a daily basis, but I can't find it.

Monday...I present to her 20 words and review the first 10. When I review the words, do I just have her read the first 10 words? 

Tuesday... I test the first 10 words on a separate piece of paper and then review the second 10 words?

Wednesday... I test the second 10 words and review all the words?

Thursday... I test all of the words.

All the while during the week we are working on writing and reading phonograms. 

Thank you!

Edited by bfw0729

5 hours ago, bfw0729 said:

I had used Spalding years ago and have been using it with my second grader. I remember I had posted years ago about what the week looks like on a daily basis, but I can't find it.

Monday...I present to her 20 words and review the first 10. When I review the words, do I just have her read the first 10 words? 

Tuesday... I test the first 10 words on a separate piece of paper and then review the second 10 words?

Wednesday... I test the second 10 words and review all the words?

Thursday... I test all of the words.

All the while during the week we are working on writing and reading phonograms. 

Thank you!

This is from the fourth edition, a teacher of about 50 6yo children (it's page 260 of the fourth edition):

On Monday, the dc soudned out dc wrote the 30 new words in their notebooks. [Note: *My* 6yo might not have been able to do 30 words.] Then they went back and sounded out and reread the first 10. The children reviewed those for homework.

On Tuesday, the dc were given a 20-word test, 10 review words (from previous lesson), plus the 10 new words they had studied. Then they studied the next 20 new words. The test on Wednesday was those 20 words. [It doesn't say that she reviewed the next 10 words with the dc, but presumably they followed the same pattern as on Monday and Tuesday. Ditto for Thursday.] The test on Friday was all 30 words.

The children began writing their own sentences when they started Section H. [This would have been a different class during the day, not at the same time as the spelling lesson.] They would have used capital letters and periods at the end of sentences.

The dc began reading trade books in November; by the end of the year, they had read 42 books. Again, this would have been a different time of the day from the spelling lesson and the writing lesson.

If you don't have the fourth edition, my recommendation would be to buy one. Although they're out of print, they're still available from places like Amazon. The fifth and sixth editions don't have this chapter ("Teaching in the Different Grades"), and they're like the meat of the manual