Menu

Recommendations for dog training websites/youtube, etc?

Laurie4b

My d-i-l found a stray in an area in which there is only a 5 day kill shelter and the rescue groups aren't taking in new dogs right now. The circumstances are not good for taking on a dog permanently; honestly, temporarily is hard but it's us or a kill shelter right now and we aren't going to do that. 

The dog is about 2, according to the vet. (Ds and dil got heartworm meds, rabies shot, and 2 rounds of deworming meds for her, hoping that she'd soon be in a rescue.)  So far, she learned "Sit" in about 2 days, "Down" in about 3, and got the hang of playing fetch (no command) quickly, so she's a fast learner. She did it for food initially, but transitioned quickly to being petted. So she's motivated by food, play, and petting, so lots of possible rewards for learning. She also accomodated to a crate, collar, harness, and leash pretty quickly. 

However, it's  been a long time since I've trained a dog and "Sit" and "Down" were the only two commands I recall how to train so I need some refreshers. 

She is mostly pit, but small (35lb ish) and with a narrow jaw. Tons of pit energy. Her jump is amazing. She could be an agility dog. But she also gets into *everything.* IDK whether it's relevant or not, but she needs watching outside, too. Though the yard is fenced in, she can easily jump to the height of the chainlink fencing. 

We've been trying to housebreak her by keeping her in a crate and taking her out regularly. But when we thought she'd gotten used to going outside only and tried her out of the crate in the house but with supervision on a retractable leash, I literally looked down for less than 30 sec's and when I looked up, she was pooping. We want her to have freedom, but they are in a rental with carpets. 

So a site you'd recommend for housebreaking, "Leave it," and "Stay" would be good. Thanks for any help.