Menu

talk to me about McRuffy Math

caedmyn

I’m considering switching my 2nd grader (currently doing Miquon) and possibly 4th grader (currently doing CLE) to McRuffy math.  Miquon is really taking the 2nd grader a long time to do most days and I’d like to switch to something simpler.  CLE is also taking the 4th grader a long time to do, although I can shorten the time by crossing off review problems in each lesson.  I’d rather have a math program that takes less time for both, but I want to make sure I know what I’m getting into before switching.  Has anyone used this math program with a dyslexic kid? Both boys are dyslexic.  I’m mostly concerned about making sure there’s enough review for them to really learn the concepts.  4th grader isn’t mathy and is slower to understand concepts.  2nd grader grasps concepts more easily, but has more trouble retaining them.

Also wondering how long it takes to teach the program each day, and if it can be taught without the teachers manual.  I prefer to just explain new concepts myself, but with some programs the teacher’s manual is an essential part of the program.  It sounds like there are games with McRuffy, so I’m guessing the teacher’s manual is needed.