Menu

Any experience with new Saxon Teacher?

Bumping this for you as I'm reading through some of the days I missed this week!

I can't answer your question as to the new Saxon DVDs. I can tell you our experience. My ds, always strong in math and doing fine with Saxon through Alg. 2, really bogged down in Advanced Math. After posting here and reading lots of info from Jann in Tx, LoriM and others who were familiar with Saxon, I decided to switch him out of the Saxon series. I actually wish I had done it earlier in his high school. Hopefully, Jann in Tx will post and tell you some of the probs she's seen with kids who use the upper Saxon texts.

He ended up doing a year of geometry in Jacobs (10th) and is now doing Pre-Calc with Chalkdust.

Lisa

I thought I posted about this.

It is "like" TT

It has a whiteboard with voiceover (no face).

Every lesson is has a lecture.

Every problem set problem and every actual practice problem are worked out step by step with voiceover explanations as to ...what and why.... that step is done, offers little reminders.

I've only watched Algebra-1 and Algebra-2 SaxonTeacher, but I assume AdvanceMath would be the same.

The solution manual offers a static snapshot of the worked out problem

I don't see how that can be equated with the hours and hours of step-by-step with voiceover instruction, hints, reminders, explanations on the SaxonTeacher product.

"Little more than the solution manual"??? I'm not sure what that would mean...?...?...?...

:seeya:

My daughter would not be able to do Algebra I this year without it. I am not a math person at all. I really need all the help I can get and Saxon Teacher has been great. The CD ROM goes through each and every problem and works it out. It does it differently (sometimes) than the solutions manual. It also has a section that teaches each new lesson. It has been well worth the money!

Blessings,

mom to dd 13, dd 11, ds 9 and ds 6

Winter Promise, Saxon Algebra 1, Rod and Staff 8, Apologia General Science, Latina Christiana II, Worldy Wise 3000 book 4

The solution manual offers a static snapshot of the worked out problem

I don't see how that can be equated with the hours and hours of step-by-step with voiceover instruction, hints, reminders, explanations on the SaxonTeacher product.

Great! I was wondering if it featured in depth explanations. I had heard it was just the same as the solution manual but with voice as well as text. I didn't need anyone to just "read" the manual.

Thanks for posting. I didn't find the answer on search.