Menu

Inclusive English program

Faddu01

Hi everyone! So happy I found this forum. I am looking for a secular all inclusive curriculum for English, language, and grammar. This is my first time homeschooling and I don’t want to overwhelm myself or my daughter with so many different worksheets! I have no teaching background so I need something simple and easy. I like BJU press because it’s an all in one but would rather have something secular. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Faddu01 said:

Sorry I forgot to mention she is 7 and in 2nd grade. She went to a Montessori school from age 4-6. Transitioning to homeschool this year. She can read pretty well but has trouble spelling some words. 

Hmmm... 2nd grade is pretty young for Grammar and Writing. Many people don't start either until 3rd grade, unless the student is really wanting to write stuff. And in that case, at the 2nd grade level, it can be very much student-led as far as what kinds of writing projects the student wants to do...

Along those lines, for your English/Language Arts this year, you could just cover Spelling, Phonics (in support of Spelling, and Handwriting (Penmanship). Or, you could do "Copywork", which is a method of doubling up the handwriting practice with then informally discussing a few Grammar and Writing points that are in the short passage that is used for the Copywork.

Or, you might look at Royal Fireworks Press' Aesop's Fables (secular) -- 4 short volumes for grades 2-4. You might shoot for doing volumes 1 and 2 this year, and volumes 3 and 4 next year. Here's the Cathy Duffy review. Aesop's Fables covers grammar and writing together.

In another year or so, I'd highly recommend Treasured Conversations, now called Teaching Through Guided Analysis, by a Christian author but written secularly. It was actually created by long-time WTM boardee, 8FillTheHeart. 😍 It is for grades 3-5, and covers Grammar and Writing.

And -- welcome to homeschooling and to the WTM board! Hope you and DD have a wonderful journey together this year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

9 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Hmmm... 2nd grade is pretty young for Grammar and Writing. Many people don't start either until 3rd grade, unless the student is really wanting to write stuff. And in that case, at the 2nd grade level, it can be very much student-led as far as what kinds of writing projects the student wants to do...

Along those lines, for your English/Language Arts this year, you could just cover Spelling, Phonics (in support of Spelling, and Handwriting (Penmanship). Or, you could do "Copywork", which is a method of doubling up the handwriting practice with then informally discussing a few Grammar and Writing points that are in the short passage that is used for the Copywork.

Agree.  If you want to read a description of how I teach, this post includes my approach (which is far more than enough for 2nd grade).  https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/239259-bringing-karens-mention-of-essay-writing-to-a-new-thread/?do=findComment&comment=2363522

20 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Or, you might look at Royal Fireworks Press' Aesop's Fables (secular) -- 4 short volumes for grades 2-4. You might shoot for doing volumes 1 and 2 this year, and volumes 3 and 4 next year. Here's the Cathy Duffy review. Aesop's Fables covers grammar and writing together.

In another year or so, I'd highly recommend Treasured Conversations, now called Teaching Through Guided Analysis, by a Christian author but written secularly. It was actually created by long-time WTM boardee, 8FillTheHeart. 😍 It is for grades 3-5, and covers Grammar and Writing.

And -- welcome to homeschooling and to the WTM board! Hope you and DD have a wonderful journey together this year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you for sharing. This makes my life a lot easier! I actually got Blossom and Roots Language Arts curriculum. I thought I was doing something wrong because it only takes us like an hour to finish that and math. I felt like she needed to spend more time with school work. So I guess I will skip grammar and do English. I also just purchase Spelling U See. 

as you can tell I am a complete beginner. Never ever thought I would homeschool but Covid had other plans 😂

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Faddu01 said:

Thank you for sharing. This makes my life a lot easier! I actually got Blossom and Roots Language Arts curriculum. I thought I was doing something wrong because it only takes us like an hour to finish that and math. I felt like she needed to spend more time with school work. So I guess I will skip grammar and do English. I also just purchase Spelling U See. 

as you can tell I am a complete beginner. Never ever thought I would homeschool but Covid had other plans 😂

I looked at the scope and sequence of Blossom and Roots, and it looks about right in LA content for 2nd grade. You can always add in a fun extra every so often if you feel you want to do some work. Or enjoy some extra books together. 😉 

For general planning purposes, VERY roughly homeschooling with a typical child:
1.0-1.5 hours = 1st grade
1.5-2.0 hours = 2nd grade
2.5-3.0 hours = 3rd grade
3.5-4.0 hours = 4th grade
4.0-4.5 hours = 5th grade
4.5-5.0 hours = 6th grade
5.0-5.5 hours = 7th/8th grades
5.5-6.0+ hours = 9th-12th grades

So for 2nd grade, the average student spends about 2 hours time in focused study of formal materials. If  you finish your core subjects of LA and Math in 1 hour, that gives you another 1 hour to work on "content subjects" of choice -- Science, History, Geography, a Foreign Language, Music lessons & practice, Art, Health & Safety, Poetry, or any personal interests. 😄 

If you find you're completely done with ALL your subjects ("core" and "content") in 1 hour, that probably means the student needs materials that are a bit more challenging. Or, that you need to add additional "content subjects" (if you are only doing "core" subjects). Or it gives you the opportunity to spend a little extra time doing a second Math program as a supplement or do some occasional fun writing projects... 😉 

Welcome to homeschooling! BEST wishes to you and DD for a wonderful learning adventure together this year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.