Menu

French picture books

Any suggestions about pretty simple French picture books to read to my kids? They don't speak French; we do some limited conversational French, and I'm planning to step it up. But they really love being read to. I don't mind translating as I go, because what I mainly want from this experience is to give them a positive association with reading in French, and to have them hear plenty of language. 

So far we've read some Babar books, and a few other random books that I've taken out of the library. Our library is open again but only for pick up, so I can't browse the shelves the way I used to. I'm looking for books with a strong story and characters. They are 8 and almost-7 but I am happy to read them stuff aimed at much littler kids, because of the language difference.

I really like Petit Ours Brun, T’Choupi, Leo et Popi and Lou Le Loup.  French toddlers use these books to learn everyday vocabulary to describe their world, which is just what your kids need too.  Books aimed at older kids usually aren’t repetitive enough to let kids easily absorb language structures.  They are also charming which really helps. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

I really like Petit Ours Brun, T’Choupi, Leo et Popi and Lou Le Loup.  French toddlers use these books to learn everyday vocabulary to describe their world, which is just what your kids need too.  Books aimed at older kids usually aren’t repetitive enough to let kids easily absorb language structures.  They are also charming which really helps. 

Thanks! I'm requesting books now. and I see that some of these have cartoon versions too, which could be fun if they like the books. 

• Like 1