Menu

Discovering Geometry

Asked on the High school board but not getting any bites.

I'm interested in any experiences with Discovering Geometry.  Especially in regards to middle school students.  I'm considering combining all 3 of my middle school aged kids.

One will have completed Beast Academy 5, one Mr D Pre-Al, and one Jacobs Algebra.  So they have a mix of Algebra experience among them.  All three will likely repeat Geometry in high school so I'm not stressed about it being complete.

Edited by Coco_Clark

I didn't use it with middle schoolers. My homeschool graduate used it for high school geometry and really enjoyed it. Before this book she used Foerster for alg 1 and it was followed by dual enrollment where she also did well. It's a full geo course. Kids who don't work well with the discovery method may think there isn't enough instruction. Mine thrived. 

I don't remember many of the day to day specifics. There was a schedule in the tm we went by that worked well for her. She cherry picked the extra workpages she felt she needed. She was an independent worker overall. 

(Fwiw my favorite geo supplement for middle school is Patty Paper Geometry.)

Edited by SilverMoon