Menu

Singapore Dimensions vs Singapore Primary Standards

Hi Everyone,

I have quite a large age gap between my youngest and my next youngest child.   That means I have to go back and research all of the materials that have changed since I last taught this grade.  So sorry for all of the questions today....

I used Singapore Primary math for my older children and loved it.  I felt like it really set them up for sucess in middle school.   It took me awhile to figure out that I MUCH prefer the standards version of primary math compared to the US version because of the built in reviews and layout of the teacher's manual.   I now see that they have released a new Dimensions version of Singapore math.   Can anyone tell me a bit about this new version and how it compares?

Thanks!

Have you read Kate Snow's review of Dimensions? She gives a good overview of the program and compares it to the other Singapore versions. I use Dimensions, the main thing I prefer is the Teacher's guide in comparison to the HIG for the Standards edition. That said, if you like the Standards edition and are comfortable teaching it, there's no need to switch. 

I have read that.  It is a great review!   However, she seems to cover more of how the teacher's manual and lesson setup vary.   (All great information!). 

BUT---I guess I am wondering if Dimensions has the same rigor as Primary Math.   

For example, one thing I have noticed since posting this is that dimensions seems to introduce concepts later.  (I gather this from reading through the scope and sequence documents.)   For example, in the Primary Standards 1B book the student learns multiplication as repeated addition and even touches on division by diving things into groups.   They also touch briefly on fractions in first grade by the student learning to recognize halves and fourths.    Multiplication is covered at all in dimensions until Ch. 6 and 7 in Dimensions 2A.  And dimensions doesn't introduce fractions until 3B.   

6 hours ago, TheAttachedMama said:

I have read that.  It is a great review!   However, she seems to cover more of how the teacher's manual and lesson setup vary.   (All great information!). 

For example, one thing I have noticed since posting this is that dimensions seems to introduce concepts later.  (I gather this from reading through the scope and sequence documents.)   For example, in the Primary Standards 1B book the student learns multiplication as repeated addition and even touches on division by diving things into groups.   They also touch briefly on fractions in first grade by the student learning to recognize halves and fourths.    Multiplication is covered at all in dimensions until Ch. 6 and 7 in Dimensions 2A.  And dimensions doesn't introduce fractions until 3B.   

Hmmm...  I just finished Dimensions 1A and 1B, I don't have my manuals right in front of me, but I remember them briefly introducing multiplication and division, they called it grouping and sharing if I remember correctly. They definitely introduced fractions, albeit very simply, recognizing halves and fourths I think. I'll get my books out later and take a more detailed look.

ETA, I haven't gone through both programs with a fine toothed comb to compare, but my understanding was that both editions covered the same material in the same grade levels. I did think of one thing I miss from Standards and that is the mental math pages at the back of the HIG. 

ETA again, I looked through my TM and yes they call multiplication and division grouping and sharing in the 1B books. They also cover fractions of 1/2 and 1/4. Adding a couple of pictures so you can see what the books look like. All that said, if you like Standards and are comfortable teaching it, there's no reason to switch. 

20200710_124529.jpg

20200710_124506.jpg

Edited by amiesmom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

I am so glad you asked this as I have also read Kate Snow's review but wanted more real-world info.. Amiesmom, have you found it difficult to gather all the materials for each chapter? One thing I remember from kate's review is that some chapters require a HUGE amount of "stuff". Have you found a kit that supplies most of these items?

So, I'm kind of a math manipulative hoarder... I used Rightstart in kindergarten for all of my kids, so I can't speak to what Dimensions requires for the kindergarten level. These are the things I used most often for Dimensions last year for 1st:

Colored counters (could use anything as counters like coins or legos)

Number cards (could use playing cards or Uno cards, etc)

Base 10 blocks

Geometric solids (could use things around the house like balls, dice, etc.)

Place value cards

Place value discs (could use poker chips or coins)

Dice, 10 sided dice, and blank dice

For my 4th grader, I used some of the above as well as

fraction bars

I printed some things from the blackline masters like game boards and 10 frames. The lessons may have sometimes called for other materials, but they might have been things I had around the house like legos or something. Sometimes games that would normally be played as a class would ask for random items, but I would skip those games or adjust them to be played with things I already had. Also, besides the dice these were things I already had because, as I said, I'm a math  manipulative hoarder, I think you could make a lot of this work with things you have around the house. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 10:20 AM, TheAttachedMama said:

Yes.  DD12 uses Dimensions, but she's in the upper levels.  My husband was originally an engineering major and has excellent math skills.  Even HE couldn't answer some of the Challenge Problems.  Sometimes, I can't answer them without using algebra.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Evanthe said:

Yes.  DD12 uses Dimensions, but she's in the upper levels.  My husband was originally an engineering major and has excellent math skills.  Even HE couldn't answer some of the Challenge Problems.  Sometimes, I can't answer them without using algebra.

That is how I am with the AOPS courses!  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAttachedMama said:

Just a quick question, do the dimensions workbooks have perforated pages?   That might be a deal maker for me!  🙂

The grade 1 workbooks did, not the textbook, but grade 4 did not. I'm not sure at what point they make that change, I haven't ordered grade 2 yet.

• Like 1