Menu

Writing Program/Prompts Kindergarten

annanyc

My kiddo really likes to write stories now. He's 5, and going into K (but with a December birthday, will be one of the oldest of his class). Attached is an example of his writing. Our school system is going almost entirely remote next year, and (like many I'm guessing) I'm being thrown into this home schooling thing a little unexpectedly. 

From my uneducated eye, his penmanship is great, I love the stories, the structure, the fact that he's telling the world we only make cookies from store bought packages. Heh. His spelling is totally off, but phonetic, which seems age appropriate. 

I think what I'd like is just something to keep him loving writing and telling stories. Maybe a collection of fun prompts? Then get some lined paper? Or should I be bringing in more spelling/handwriting work? Should I be doing it in sync with whatever reading program we end up using? 

Ideas would be good here. Writing and math are areas where he has a lot of enthusiasm and is able to self-start. So I'm afraid of killing the joy and turning learning into more of a chore. In case it matters, this was done a few weeks ago with no adult help apart from the suggestion that he use first, next and last in three sentences. He decided to write a recipe book.

20200705_202547.jpg

20200705_202538.jpg

20200705_202556.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/5/2020 at 10:36 PM, annanyc said:

So I'm afraid of killing the joy and turning learning into more of a chore.

Yes!! His work is adorable and I would not try to regulate, correct, etc. his pleasure work, only *facilitate*. 

Then get some lined paper?

Yes! You've doubtless gone to some school supply stores. If you get a variety, then he has options. He clearly likes to draw, so the half page with space to illustrate are great. 

From my uneducated eye, his penmanship is great

Yes, what a boon!

His spelling is totally off, but phonetic, which seems age appropriate.

Have you picked out a reading curriculum? 

Maybe a collection of fun prompts?

You could go a bunch of directions. He might enjoy story writing games (story cubes, https://www.amazon.com/University-Games-Bubble-Talk-Board/dp/B00A0TRXQU/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=caption+game&qid=1596207953&sr=8-2 , etc.).He'll probably enjoy ANY language games, so don't limit yourself to writing. Spelling games, sentence building games. Amazon, Lakeshore Learning, Rainbow Resource...

I think you might want to put your energy into fun spelling and let the writing continue naturally. Skills so he can do for himself.

Have you looked at apps? We had one where you could order the pictures and recordyour story with effects. He could go as far as he wanted.

Peggy Kayes Games for Writing and anything simpe like acrostics, lists, etc.

with no adult help apart from the suggestion that he use first, next and last in three sentences.

Given how well his narrative language is developing, he will be ready to narrate (give dictations, retellings) for academics. I would bring this in with books you read him or history, science.