Menu

Resources for the kid who wants to "write a novel" as part of his schooling

My son (13, rising 8th grade) would really like me to help him write a novel.  He's had some bursts of creative writing on his own time, but wants me to help him by setting deadlines, constructive criticism, etc.  I'm happy to do that and feel comfortable doing that.  What I'm looking for are some books for him to read- I don't particularly want curriculum, as I think having him work on separate creative writing assignments that pull time from his pet project would be discouraging.  I'd rather find books aimed at a general, probably adult audience that are both inspiring and contain really tips on improving fictional writing.  

One of my favorite books on creative writing is Steven King's On Writing.  I plan on having him read that.  I'm looking for other resources that are also "theory of the craft," yet accessible to a 13 year old.  For example, I've read Writing Down the Bones and enjoyed it myself as a hobbyist writer, but don't think it would be very interesting for a 13 year old.  I'm willing to consider a Great Courses class, but again, not sure it would be helpful to a 13 year old or just weigh him down.  

He is an across-the-board accelerated student in every way but spelling.  😂

Look at How to Write a Novel Using the Snowflake Method, or the Snowflake Way, something like that. It's available on Kindle.

It's a creative nonfiction book in which a character is writing a story. She attends a seminar and develops her story while learning about plot and character organization, pacing, and all the essentials. This provides a big picture idea of the novel writing process.

Also included is step by step "procedure" for actually starting to organize your novel. The author stresses that different writers work in different ways, but it's useful to have mini "assignments" that break things down into manageable chunks. It's perfect for someone who has an idea of what their novel is about but who "doesn't know how to start."

The author also has (at least last time I checked) a free download of his software for organizing a novel. This software has tabs for entering info, starting with broader ideas such as "write a one sentence summary of your novel" to "expand to a paragraph" to "expand each sentence to it's own paragraph." It has character tabs and a scene list, and it can all be exported to a Word document as the novel outline. 

If your son is serious he may be interested in participating in critiques. Look at Critique Circle. It's free to join and you're not under any commitment obligations (unlike a standard critique group). He can post his own excerpts for critiques and critique others posts. You would need to assist him probably in critiquing others. I'm not sure how often minors participate. I wonder if there's any critique sites catering to teens?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sarah0000 said:

Look at How to Write a Novel Using the Snowflake Method, or the Snowflake Way, something like that. It's available on Kindle.

It's a creative nonfiction book in which a character is writing a story. She attends a seminar and develops her story while learning about plot and character organization, pacing, and all the essentials. This provides a big picture idea of the novel writing process.

Also included is step by step "procedure" for actually starting to organize your novel. The author stresses that different writers work in different ways, but it's useful to have mini "assignments" that break things down into manageable chunks. It's perfect for someone who has an idea of what their novel is about but who "doesn't know how to start."

The author also has (at least last time I checked) a free download of his software for organizing a novel. This software has tabs for entering info, starting with broader ideas such as "write a one sentence summary of your novel" to "expand to a paragraph" to "expand each sentence to it's own paragraph." It has character tabs and a scene list, and it can all be exported to a Word document as the novel outline. 

If your son is serious he may be interested in participating in critiques. Look at Critique Circle. It's free to join and you're not under any commitment obligations (unlike a standard critique group). He can post his own excerpts for critiques and critique others posts. You would need to assist him probably in critiquing others. I'm not sure how often minors participate. I wonder if there's any critique sites catering to teens?

This method and software sound very interesting!