Menu

Drill for RightStart

countrymum

We use RightStart as our math curriculum. Next year we will have kids in C and E. I really like it and its going well. However, my kids don't really like the games and we have 4 kids (1 baby) so its hard to make time for them. We play enough for levels a and b, but I'm looking for some drill type supplement for c (2nd) and e (4th) for next year. I have been using old texts and copying extra problems but that takes time and mental energy too;) I do have Kate Snows books that we use too, so I'mnot looking for a way to teach math facts.

I'm wanting old fashioned calculation speed practice. Think column addition of 3+ numbers, mental speed, and basic algorithm practice. We've got good conceptual instruction so I don't really need that.

Abeka has workbooks for this. I used the. Didn't help dd much. Reality is she sucked at retaining math facts because of the sad combination of:

-low processing speed

-poor working memory

-poor visual memory

My ds is stronger at all of those, and he finds math fact learning much easier, even though he technically has a math SLD and she doesn't. Go figure.

But yes, the Abeka math drill books will do what you're wanting, in brief, easy chunks. Iirc I would have her start them in pencil and change to a different color when the timer went off. That way she still did everything and it was ok to be slower.

Yes to mms. I have Strayer Upton....i have used it in the past for this and perhaps its the best thing.....I was trying to get away from me copying the problems and my 4th grader isn't ready to copy yet. I do love Strayer Upton though. I have another vintage series too....thats the kind of drill I'm looking for.

I am looking at a Study time arithmetic 4 workbook only though. Im wondering if i could cross off instead of copy? Its only $14. Any thoughts?