Menu

New or newish to home schooling? Dream big here

When you have been in the school system, either as a student or a parent, you have a lot of assumptions about what should be part of school. The day starts with the Pledge to the flag, and desks are the best place to study, right? Well, it could be that way, but at home, it's all up to you. I'd like to invite those who are brand new or newish to homeschooling to discuss what things they would love to incorporate into their home school. What goals would you like to aim for in the coming year or years? Are there any aspects of traditional school you'd like to leave behind? Any that you feel are important to keep? Is there an area of study you think your child will be excited to branch into? 

Experienced posters aren't banned, of course, but please be gentle and don't rain on anyone's parade. If I say I'd love to teach my kids four foreign languages and three styles of folk dance in the coming year, no need to tell me my plan is odd and unlikely to come together, at least not in this thread.

• Like 2

Just throwing in a plug for a "morning meeting time" (or, after lunch time) as a way of easing into the day and for accomplishing all the odds and ends that you otherwise wouldn't get to. 😄 

We had started off at a private school (DS#1 = pre-school/kinder/1st. pre-school/kinder = DS#2), and I did like some of the "common cultural knowledge" sorts of things done at a schools -- so when we started homeschooling in for 1st/2nd grades, we started our day with a "together time", and we did the pledge as a kick off to that together time for the first few years. A Bible/devotional time was always part of our morning together time; and throughout the years we also did a wide range of other things as sort of "mini-units" as part of that time:

- learned traditional patriotic songs and historical folksongs -- i.e., "Americana" (elementary years)
- critical thinking/logic puzzle as a brain warm up (all throughout)
- health/safety topics (early elementary years)
- character/virtue books (elementary years)
- learn traditional hymns, and history behind them (all throughout)
- manners/etiquette (late elementary years)
- Core Knowledge books -- common sayings/adages; well-known stories; the history/science/music/art sections; etc. (elementary years)
- memorize states/capitals, or other memorization (elementary years)
- conflict resolution/building relationship books (middle/high school)
- worldview and apologetics books (middle/high school)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2